Contributor

Question for Shanus - Coconut Oil Cleansing

I was thinking of using coconut oil as a facial cleanser.  I looked up some older posts on this beauty blog, and saw that you mentioned that you were going to give coconut oil a try, as a replacement for you Bobbi Brown oil cleanser.  I was wondering if you did try it, and how it worked for you, and if you recommend.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for Shanus - Coconut Oil Cleansing

I'm obviously not Shanus but thought I'd chime in. Some years ago, I was part of a fb group and one of the women did research for beauty book authors. She said that coconut oil is not recommended because it can clog pores (or something like that) so use caution.

Honored Contributor

@Clearsunshine   yes I tried it and @ThinkingOutLoud  is correct. It can clog pores and did on me. Think it's better used for cooking. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud 

Yes, it absolutely can (speaking from experience).  Coconut WATER is fine but the oil CAN be a problem.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud I use argan oil (I started with Josie Maran & found out I loved it, but I now buy Ulta store brand or Shea Moisture brand.) as a makeup remover.

I have old/normal to oily/easily dehydrated skin/that breaks out from everything. 

Argan oil works great to break down all of my makeup & then I use First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser to clean my skin. It is very gentle.

I don't find argan oil to be moisturizing for my skin, but it is very soothing if my skin is irritated or broken out.

Coconut oil is amazing if I get a bit of contact dermatits. It clears it up so quickly. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jojoba oil is good for cleansing b/c it's a close match to the skin's natural oil. Also, jojoba is not really an actual oil but rather a type of liquid plant wax that has the ability to clean pores and provide antibacterial protection. It doesn't clog pores or cause acne.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I love reading your responses. You have the best information!

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much! Woman Happy @Janey2 

Honored Contributor

@Clearsunshine wrote:

I was thinking of using coconut oil as a facial cleanser.  I looked up some older posts on this beauty blog, and saw that you mentioned that you were going to give coconut oil a try, as a replacement for you Bobbi Brown oil cleanser.  I was wondering if you did try it, and how it worked for you, and if you recommend.  Thanks.

@Clearsunshine  Just tossing this out there. If you're looking for a cleansing oil, check out Palmers Cleansing Oil for the Face.  The rose scent is pleasant, not overpowering.  @SillieMee recommended it and I finally got around to trying it.  It's inexpensive but really nice.  I've been using it nightly for a couple of months and like it a lot. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I use Palmers Cleansing oil as well, on the recommendation of @SilleeMee .  It's a great price and works!