Trusted Contributor

Re: Question for Retin-A users.........

@winamac1, I know!  I thought the exact same things.  This derm is well-known in England and has beautiful skin.  She had some sort of reasoning on the winter-only skin, something along the lines of summer skin needing the extra layer of protection from the sun.  I'd put the link up but it would get deleted.  But it's just Wayne Goss on YouTube if you're interested.  I'm getting ready to start Retin-A and I'm really interested in the subject.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

@winamac1, I know!  I thought the exact same things.  This derm is well-known in England and has beautiful skin.  She had some sort of reasoning on the winter-only skin, something along the lines of summer skin needing the extra layer of protection from the sun.  I'd put the link up but it would get deleted.  But it's just Wayne Goss on YouTube if you're interested.  I'm getting ready to start Retin-A and I'm really interested in the subject.  Smiley Happy

I still don't "get" it as skin is so much drier in the Winter--even in England.  But, I"m not a Dr.  I may look at the link.  BTW, I don't think Q would delete the link as you aren't talking about a competitive product that's non prescription.  Just my thought, but I could be wrong.  I fully advocate the use of Retin A.  I use it 3 or 4 nights a week--the lowest dose. I wait 20 minutes after I wash my face. 

It's very effective.  I have used it for 20 years, and I'm not delusional....lol...I look the same age as 2 of my friends who are 10 years younger than I am.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

I am seventy two. Fifty yrs ago a derm did a "lunchtime peel" on me and for some reason used 70% instead of 7%.

I have acutely sensitive skin and ended up in the E.R. When the puffiness and burn went away I had something called sebum hyperplasia all over my forehead. It was horrible.

I went to the head of dermatology at Mass General. I had seen him in the past. He prescribed Retina micro in the highest strenght. He said the micro was the trick for my sensitive skin. Renova is in a cream base; he said patients like me often reacted to the cream base. The micro is a different delivery system.

My skin then was very oily. I used to say I could personally solve the problems in the middle east by contributing my oil.

It was amazing. It cleared up the sebum hyperplasia, faded some acne scars and evened out my skin tone.

I have always been religious about sunscreen. I have no tanning pigment, always burn. So starting it in the summer when my skin was so oily was a plus for me.

I never peeled. But I tried Renova in the lowest strength and couldn't tolerate it.

The micro delivery system is the most expensive one. I just paid two hundred twenty five dollars at Costco. I did call around and they were the only place that actually stocks the micro.

I'm still using it in the 01%. It is a prescription and I deduct it with my other meds on my taxes.

It definetly is antiaging. I had lunch with a group of people after a meeting last week. I remarked I was the oldest at the table. The man sitting next to me said, "no, he was sixty." It was 100% out and all I had on my skin was my sunscreen. My hair was up in a not especially flattering bun.

I'm going to google micro.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

Oh no, I just ordered 9 tubes of  Retin A .05% from. ADC. I have been using it every other day with no peeling or reaction. Should I have gotten 0.25%?

You should be ok.    I just have read the .25 is as effective as the .50 with less peeling for some!

Thank you! I thought I had goofed. I have no peeling with the .05% every other day so I should be ok.

You should be fine.  If you aren't peeling, then it's ok.  I don't peel much, now, with Retin A.  I also don't peel with PTR retinol fusion pm.  I am peeling TERRIBLY with Paula's choice.  There must be something else in there that is making me peel.  I won't buy her Retinol again.

____

@winamac1:  I had a problem also with Paula's Choice 1% retinol. My face peeled and seemed to swell.  Since the 30 days had passed, I put it on my arms.  That gave me small, flesh-colored bumps in a rash where I'd put it.  I called QVC customer service and told them that I was unable to use the product.  They let me return it for a refund.  If you really can't use it, you might try.  I don't know how long you've had it, but I'd had mine for probably not more than two months.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

Oh no, I just ordered 9 tubes of  Retin A .05% from. ADC. I have been using it every other day with no peeling or reaction. Should I have gotten 0.25%?

You should be ok.    I just have read the .25 is as effective as the .50 with less peeling for some!

Thank you! I thought I had goofed. I have no peeling with the .05% every other day so I should be ok.

You should be fine.  If you aren't peeling, then it's ok.  I don't peel much, now, with Retin A.  I also don't peel with PTR retinol fusion pm.  I am peeling TERRIBLY with Paula's choice.  There must be something else in there that is making me peel.  I won't buy her Retinol again.

____

@winamac1:  I had a problem also with Paula's Choice 1% retinol. My face peeled and seemed to swell.  Since the 30 days had passed, I put it on my arms.  That gave me small, flesh-colored bumps in a rash where I'd put it.  I called QVC customer service and told them that I was unable to use the product.  They let me return it for a refund.  If you really can't use it, you might try.  I don't know how long you've had it, but I'd had mine for probably not more than two months.

Thanks!  I may just keep it and use on my hands.  My hands tolerate it.  I won't use it again on my face!  thanks !!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your story, @lavendarHeart

Trusted Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

You will be fine with the lower %, just be diligent about using it regularly.  My concern would be expiration.  9 tubes??  Considering that you need to use a pea size amount, even used each night... Check the expiration dates!

Respected Contributor

It's so cheap and shipping so high that I buy a ton. Used it all up last year. Intend to try it on my sagging arms and legs so no worries. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Respected Contributor

Just curious: why on sagging arms and legs? It doesn't tighten skin.

I do use it mixed with hydroquinone on hands for age spots.

Respected Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Just curious: why on sagging arms and legs? It doesn't tighten skin.

I do use it mixed with hydroquinone on hands for age spots.

Trying anything I can, not sure if it works. Can't lose since it's so cheap at ADC.