@jackson 1 wrote:

Is there any sites that you can order retin A without a script?  TIA

All Day Chemist

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Retin-A users.........

@River Song wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

My first journey into Retinol was with Dr. Gross and his Retinol w/seurilic acid. It is gentle enough for sensitive skin and with good results. He recommends using it daily, but I use it about three nights a week. It helps significantly with smaller pores, evening skin color, diminishes fine lines and wrinkles. I've been using this about two years and have had no problems or need to go to Retin A. 

Retin A, IMO, is far superior to Retinol.  I do like PTR's Retinol though if I run out of Retin A.  His is awesome.

Although many have the opinion that tretinoin (Retin-a) is far superior to retinol, I've read that retinol is just as good as tretinoin for anti-aging, it is less irritating but takes longer to show results.  Lack of skin irritation is the key to using either product and not everyone can use tretinoin or retinol due to irritation. 

I am one of those people that tried and tried to use Retin-a at 0.025% for months and just had too much irritation.  I was sick and tired of having irritated, peeling skin and decided it just wasn't good for my skin to be so irritated for so long.  So, I'm now using a 2% retinol lotion from ASDM Beverly Hills four times a week and experience no irritation at all.  Go figure.  A 2% retinol is supposedly equivalent to 0.1% tretinoin (tretinoin being 20 times more potent that retinol). 

Retinol products have become better and better and I don't feel that tretinoin is the be-all and end-all of anti-aging products, it's just one in the arsenal if it's compatible with your skin.  I think every doctor will tell you to use the lowest concentration of tretinoin or retinol that doesn't irritate your skin as both products are used for the long haul for anti-aging and the last thing you want to do is cause excessive skin irritation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2699641/ 

I have more peeling with Paula's Choice retinol than I do with Retin A at the lowest percentage.  Everyone is so different.  That being said, most dermatologists would say that tretinoin IS the best anti-aging product out in the marketplace.  Yes, Vitamin C and other antioxidants are helpful, but most would state that Retin A is the most efficacious of all.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@jackson 1 wrote:

Is there any sites that you can order retin A without a script?  TIA

I think there are a few sites, but I only get the one here in the U.S--the branded one.

Respected Contributor

Oh no, I just ordered 9 tubes of  Retin A .05% from. ADC. I have been using it every other day with no peeling or reaction. Should I have gotten 0.25%?

Honored Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

Oh no, I just ordered 9 tubes of  Retin A .05% from. ADC. I have been using it every other day with no peeling or reaction. Should I have gotten 0.25%?

You should be ok.    I just have read the .25 is as effective as the .50 with less peeling for some!

Super Contributor

Ladies I'm new to this but would love to start using, have skin issues that need addressed.
What do you suggest strength wise that I start with?
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

You should be ok.    I just have read the .25 is as effective as the .50 with less peeling for some!

Thank you! I thought I had goofed. I have no peeling with the .05% every other day so I should be ok.

Honored Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Valstybaby wrote:

Thank you! I thought I had goofed. I have no peeling with the .05% every other day so I should be ok.

You should be fine.  If you aren't peeling, then it's ok.  I don't peel much, now, with Retin A.  I also don't peel with PTR retinol fusion pm.  I am peeling TERRIBLY with Paula's choice.  There must be something else in there that is making me peel.  I won't buy her Retinol again. 

Trusted Contributor

YouTube beauty guru Wayne Goss has a recent video up where he visits his dermatologist.  Interestingly, she recommends using Retin-A for only three months a year.  I've been searching to see if anyone else recommends that routine but haven't been able to find anything.  She also recommended only using Retin-A in the winter.  It's an interesting video - she shows how to correctly apply it - but I'm wondering if only using Retin-A for three months will mean that you have to go through the whole skin "retinization" process when you start it up again?  My gut tells me that once your skin acclimates to it don't dare stop it, but I do like the idea of only using it three months a year.  One thing I can say is I have yet to see a dermatologist not recommend good old Retin-A for aging skin, it does seem to be the gold standard.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

YouTube beauty guru Wayne Goss has a recent video up where he visits his dermatologist.  Interestingly, she recommends using Retin-A for only three months a year.  I've been searching to see if anyone else recommends that routine but haven't been able to find anything.  She also recommended only using Retin-A in the winter.  It's an interesting video - she shows how to correctly apply it - but I'm wondering if only using Retin-A for three months will mean that you have to go through the whole skin "retinization" process when you start it up again?  My gut tells me that once your skin acclimates to it don't dare stop it, but I do like the idea of only using it three months a year.  One thing I can say is I have yet to see a dermatologist not recommend good old Retin-A for aging skin, it does seem to be the gold standard.

I"ve never heard of a dermatologist recommending Retin A for only 3 months a year.  That's just odd.  

Plus, I can't imagine someone recommending it only in the Winter.  In the Winter, skin is drier.  I'd think one's derm, if they recommending for only 3 months, they'd recommend it in the Summer.