Occasional Contributor

Question for Retin A users, and shiny skin caused by use

My dermatologist warned me that using Retin A, would cause my skin to be shiny.  As a woman of color, and I already having an oily t-zone.....I have not been able to find a BB cream, or finishing powder that truly helps to keep my skin matte.  I normally use a concealer around my eyes, and a powder to hold down the oil.....no foundation.  Anyone in this similar situation?  Have you found something that gives your face a matte look?  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Retin A users, and shiny skin caused by use

I'm fair.....but also VERY oily.    The only thing that helps me is to blot.   Everything else just makes it worse.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I also have oily skin and live in an extremely hot and humid area. For me, less is more when trying to control oil. This summer, I tried a finishing spray from Urban Decay, I think it's called DeSlick. (I believe they have to so of them, this one has a gray cap) A fine mist of this spray seemed to help control the shine without getting cakey. I purchased it in a travel size at Ulta. 

Respected Contributor

maybe i'm wrong, but using retin a will stop your having so much oil.  retin a dries out the skin if anything else. you'll probably need a moisturiser.

Respected Contributor

I am african american and I have very oily skin age age 65. I have been using Peter Thomas Roth Max anti-shne mattifying gel and it WORKS at least for me. I use Bare minerals matte foundation over my PTR glycolic acid 10%  moisturizer and PTR mattifying gel and it keeps my skin shine free all day. My mother is 84 and speaks her mind. One day she said to me( " your face is so oily ! )   That's when I knew I had to find something to keep my skin matte.  I tried a lot of products, did not work for me.  I cleanse twice a day w/PTR 3% glycolic wash and I use Neutrogenia Tone repair night Retin A moisturizer and my face is now acne free, even toned  and I get lots of compliments.  Hope that helps you

Esteemed Contributor

I use Skinn Orchid Gel. This is a mattifying primer. It works great and will stay matte all day long. However, I use Dr. Gross' Retinol w/Seurilic acid, and I don't have any shine from it.

Respected Contributor

I am a medium skintone Caucasian with dry skin and find that Retin A is more drying than creating oil. In the Summer months when it is humid, my skin does not require as much moisture. In the Winter months, I have to load up on a heavier moisturizer.

Trusted Contributor

@Vanessa08 did the derm maybe mean shiny as in your skin would be tight ? Retin A shouldn't cause you to get oily from what mine told me.  In fact it should make your skin drier .  I may be wrong, just my experience.

Trusted Contributor

Vanessa, I've wondered the same thing.  I think the shine created by Retin A isn't a greasy shine it's a skin-thinned-out shine.  The skin is actually dry but looks shiny!  I wonder if that shiny look goes away?  I can always spot a serious Retin-A user because their face almost looks translucent and shiny!  I want to try Rx Retin but I'm afraid of that tell-tale shine!  So for now it's good old PTR retin which is pretty low-dose and seems to make my skin look younger.

Honored Contributor

I am in my early 50s.  I had oily skin before Retina A.  I have been using Retin A for about 15 months.  My skin is still oily and shiny.  Nothing I use really stops the shine.  I have used Paula's Choice Matte Shine Stopper and Neutrogena Shine Control Powder.  Both help a little, but usually I just blot.  I hate having oily shiny skin, but it has kept wrinkles at bay.