Valued Contributor

Question for Anyone Experienced at Micro Needling

Can someone tell me your experience and what the benefits are of micro needling?  Also, when they did the demo, they stated that you should use your products afterwards.  Don't you have to be concerned with stinging and sensitivity if you've opened up the skin in any way.  Also, I would worry about infection.  Please explain, if you can, and also the benefits.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for Anyone Experienced at Micro Needling

@patticakes

Search Derma Rolling and Derma Roller in the community search bar. Two threads with information you may find useful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am an experienced roller. My advice is to go to a professional first and have a session done there before doing anything else. Then, if you are comfortable with the results, I would suggest getting a book about the subject and get informed about this kind of procedure. It is not for everyone and there can be risks. I would also like to say that what you may read on the internet about this type of procedure has a lot of misinformation and what you read may not be safe. Microneedling is a serious type of treatment and should never be taken lightly.

eta - I am not talking about the exfoliating type rollers (GloPro). But the rollers with the longer needles used for collagen induction to treat wrinkles and scars from acne.

Respected Contributor

😍
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I am an experienced roller. My advice is to go to a professional first and have a session done there before doing anything else. Then, if you are comfortable with the results, I would suggest getting a book about the subject and get informed about this kind of procedure. It is not for everyone and there can be risks. I would also like to say that what you may read on the internet about this type of procedure has a lot of misinformation and what you read may not be safe. Microneedling is a serious type of treatment and should never be taken lightly.

eta - I am not talking about the exfoliating type rollers (GloPro). But the rollers with the longer needles used for collagen induction to treat wrinkles and scars from acne.

@SilleeMee - just curious. What is the safest needle length for in home use? I would think 0.5mm. Can you safely graduate to a longer length for in home use? Collagen induction requires greater than .5mm, correct? I have only heard good things about microneedling but haven’t gathered the courage yet to seek professional consultation  Woman Wink

Valued Contributor

I guess I was really referring to the home type, like the Glo Pro, not the professional.  I'd like to hear from those using the home type o device and what their experience is.   Just wondering the long term benefits as well as if there are any special tricks to using it.  Also, any problems or things to avoid.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FLGators@FLGators wrote:

@SilleeMee - just curious. What is the safest needle length for in home use? I would think 0.5mm. Can you safely graduate to a longer length for in home use? Collagen induction requires greater than .5mm, correct? I have only heard good things about microneedling but haven’t gathered the courage yet to seek professional consultation  Woman Wink

On the face, it is not necessary to use one that is longer than 0.5mm. Using longer does not mean better and graduation to using longer needles on the face is not a good idea. Collagen induction in the skin on the face starts at about 0.5mm and if you go deeper then that becomes risky and is overkill. However, for body issues, then using longer lengths might be needed and the lengths would depend on the location of treatment. @FLGators

eta - For home use, it is highly discouraged in the industry to use devices, on the face or body, with needles longer than 1.5mm which should only be performed by a trained professional inside a controlled environment.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patticakes wrote:

I guess I was really referring to the home type, like the Glo Pro, not the professional.  I'd like to hear from those using the home type o device and what their experience is.   Just wondering the long term benefits as well as if there are any special tricks to using it.  Also, any problems or things to avoid.  

When it comes to microneedling, 'home type' can include devices having longer needles than the (exfoliating) GloPro device which has needles that are only about 0.25mm...designed for exfoliation only.

Just to be clear...there are two types of dermal needling. One that gives you exfoliation as seen with the GloPro tool. The other kind of needling involves collagen induction and this kind of needling requires the use of needles that are at least 0.5mm in length (for the face). The phrase 'collagen induction' translates to wrinkle reduction, skin firming and scar smoothing (usually from acne). @patticakes

Respected Contributor

I've had micro channeling done twice with a professional. I saw results after the first session. It took about 10 days to really see the repairs my skin was making, and they are subtle. Just had my second session on Tuesday. It's expensive, but worth it to me every couple of months.

With that said, I've never tried it at home and probably would not. I do give myself TCH peels (20%), however, which I started doing after years of paying a professional.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was going to a derm for laser-induced-collagen treatments, my derm told me that for some people, this kind of laser treatment could reduce the fat content of the skin by disturbing the fat cells with the heat from the laser making them shrink over time in a long-term treatment program.. That's when I started researching microneedling. I believe needling is a wonderful alternative to lasers for collagen induction because of the fat loss lasers can cause. Laser technology is wonderful but it can come with some negative side effects.