Honored Contributor

Question about translucent powder application --

I am just now deciding to try a transclucent powder.  I am using a blush stick (cream) --- just a dash --- so, do I apply the powder first and then the blush stick or the other way around?  I always thought the powder was the last step, but now I am getting confused????  Thanks!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about translucent powder application --

Powder is the last step.  

Esteemed Contributor

I agree w/ @Sunshine Kate. But the "rule" is powder on powder; cream on cream.

I just wanted to add to try to concentrate the transclucent powder to the center of your face -- forehead/nose/chin.

Honored Contributor

Ok.  So right now here is what I am using:

Moisturizer (in spots)

Primer (in spots)

Liquid Foundation with dabs of concealer

Cream Stick Blush

So, I defnitely add the transcluscent powder last after everything?

What about mineral powder?

Sometimes I ike to use mineral powder (which has various colors swirled in) over my foundation.  Would I apply the cream blush stick before the mineral powder?

It seems like the application of powder would disrupt the blush application??

I definitely need powder of some sort though.  

Thank you for your replies!!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

You said you just use a dash of the cream blush. It kind of depends on how you apply that blush. Are you smoothing it on, or dabbing it on?

If smoothing, then that cream texture may compete with the texture of your powder, (I would think) especially of the mineral powder.

If you dab the blush on, then you could use the blush afterward.

Probably the translucent powder is more finely milled than the mineral powder, so I think that is why we both said to put the translucent powder on last.

Actually, it all depends on how you are applying everything. You could dab any powder on with a puff, too, which would not interfere with the cream blush.

HTH!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@AngelPuppy1

You said you just use a dash of the cream blush. It kind of depends on how you apply that blush. Are you smoothing it on, or dabbing it on?

If smoothing, then that cream texture may compete with the texture of your powder, (I would think) especially of the mineral powder.

If you dab the blush on, then you could use the blush afterward.

Probably the translucent powder is more finely milled than the mineral powder, so I think that is why we both said to put the translucent powder on last.

Actually, it all depends on how you are applying everything. You could dab any powder on with a puff, too, which would not interfere with the cream blush.

HTH!

@Harpa

I kind of swoosh the blush stick on and then I kind of pat it around to distribute it and smooth it out. 

I generally speaking use a fluffy brush to apply my mineral powder.  I planned on using one to apply the transcluescent powder too.  But I know that sometimes a brush can "disturb" products.  

Would a puff work better than a brush then, for the transc. powder?  I am afraid I would be too heavy handed with a puff.

As you can telll, I am not proficient in these things!

I am still back in the day when I was young and makeup was so easy!  HA!  No more!  At least not for me!!! 

Thank you very much for your kind help! 

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Harpa

I kind of swoosh the blush stick on and then I kind of pat it around to distribute it and smooth it out. 

I generally speaking use a fluffy brush to apply my mineral powder.  I planned on using one to apply the transcluescent powder too.  But I know that sometimes a brush can "disturb" products.  

Would a puff work better than a brush then, for the transc. powder?  I am afraid I would be too heavy handed with a puff.

As you can telll, I am not proficient in these things!

I am still back in the day when I was young and makeup was so easy!  HA!  No more!  At least not for me!!! 

Thank you very much for your kind help! 

I think the fluffy brush is fine for the powders. I know what you mean about a brush disturbing things, but not if it is loose & fluffy.

You could also lightly pat your translucent on. You won't be heavy-handed or disturb anything. Or, just use the fluffy brush to lightly go over everything w/ the translucent.

Are you cutting shine or setting your makeup w/ the translucent? I guess this doesn't matter too much.

(Is the translucent taken from a solid, or is it loose powder?) If loose, then you do have to be careful not to pick up too much, either with a puff or with a brush.

About the blush...try just dabbing it on (over or under any powder) and then tap it in where you want the color.

Respected Contributor

Here is what I do. I use my moisturizer, liquid foundation/concealer where I need it, cream blush, pressed powder with a big fluffy brush (I press the bristles against my areas that I want to "set" the products. Between my eyebrows, along my nose..places that my face moves a lot & it gets oily. Then I lightly buff it around the rest of my face.), then I do eye makeup. Once all of that is on I usually do a powder blush over where the cream blush is to give it depth & lasting power.

It sounds like a lot, but they are thin layers.

Then I look into a magnifying mirror & if any area looks too heavy or too powder, I use a damp sponge & lightly press those areas.

Are you using the mineral powder for more coverage or a skin brightener or what?

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you use alot of liquid/moist things---are you letting each thing set before you put on the next one? I use setting powder as the very last thing to go on my  face, but after those first things have set up; otherwise it's a muddy mess. And I think the most important tool is a nice big fluffy brush---they are the key to all make up application, IMHO. I have ditched the cheap brushes and have been replacing them one by one with really nice and sometimes  pricy brushes. The latest one I got is from the IT line---the foundation angled brush---oh baby--it is heavenly. I find them on the eee--bay for alot less.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am just now deciding to try a transclucent powder.  I am using a blush stick (cream) --- just a dash --- so, do I apply the powder first and then the blush stick or the other way around?  I always thought the powder was the last step, but now I am getting confused????  Thanks!!!  

@AngelPuppy1   If over 50 (or close), most MUA recommend a white blurring powder over translucent powder. Trish makes ones and so does Laura Mercier and NARS. It should only be applied in the t zone. A little dewey look is good on the cheeks!!