Honored Contributor

Re: Question about prescription eyeglasses

@patbz wrote:

@Jordan2 :  If you are on Medicare, your first pair of glasses post op are heavily subsidized (approx $200). This, plus the fact that Medicare covers the basic cataract surgery, really makes this procedure very affordsble.

@patbz I'm not on Medicare yet. I'm not covered for eyeglasses, I pay a fortune for them.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003   I have worn glasses for 25+years.  I have never purchased the progressives...the ones that darken in the sunlight.  

I have a friend that has them and she does not like them.  The lenses did not get dark enough when she was in the sun and also took a long time to lighten up once she goes inside.

Two years ago instead of getting new glasses I purchased prescription (polarized) sunglasses.  I LOVE them, they are expensive but for me worth the money.  You can have your old lenses coated/darkened for the sun protection but after having presription lenses made I'd never have my lenses coated again, there is a huge difference.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 :  If you are at least 65 you get about $200 off on your first pair of post op glasses (it's a benefit, no insurance involved).  Since you are still "young" you might want to give Zennioptical a try.  I wear progressives and usually mine cost about $110, including a wide selection of frames.  I've been ordering eyeglasses from them for 15 years.

Honored Contributor

Just get a pair of regular glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. Or get prescription glasses that have nice looking clip on sunglasses. When you need sunglasses, they need to be really dark, and indoors, you need your glasses to be completely clear. The transitions ones seem to give lukewarm results in both situations.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

I'll never get the changing lenses again.  As has been mentioned, they don't turn dark in the car.

Furthermore when I'm out in the sun, they do not give my eyes enough protection.

I hate them.

Honored Contributor

I have distance glasses and computer glasses with a reading bifocal in each.  So I really don't want to venture into prescription sunglasses.  What has helped me in the past were Joy Manganos sunglasses with a reading bifocal.  The top is just plain.  I need to find another source for these, my few pairs are getting pretty beat up.