Respected Contributor

Question about prescription eyeglasses

I have been fortunate enough not to need prescription glasses yet.  I have had to use reading glasses for awhile.

I really don't want to wear them and considering contact lenses at least sometimes.

My question about glasses is, for the fashion aspect, do you get the ones that change lighter and darker in the light.  I know my husband insists on them, and he has worn glasses much of his life.  I don't think I like them, but I've never worn them.

So, what do those of you who wear glasses choose?

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

Re: Question about prescription eyeglasses

I was told that the type of glasses that go from light to dark don't get dark when you are in the car.  That has always stopped me from considering them as I needed glasses for driving (before I had my cataract surgery).  Now I only need reading glasses and don't have that feature.  If you need readers and read outside in the sunlight then I guess they could be a good thing.

Honored Contributor

Good Morning @hyacinth003 ! In my household and my personal experience- my husband has worn them for years and wouldn't be without them either.

I tried a pair many years ago, and ultimately connected wearing them to unexpected headaches, very severe ones. 

So I've never tried another pair. I wear fitovers or tinted readers if I have to be doing something outdoors in the sun that requires reading.

Good luck with your choice!

Honored Contributor

Nope, I would NEVER wear the light activated glasses! They just are so annoying. You walk into a well lit room and you are wearing sunglasses. Really? In my opinon its just a lazy way to wear glasses. Give me regular glasses AND sunglasses any old day. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I've worn glasses since I was 5 and would not get the "Transactions" lenses.

Esteemed Contributor

I got the 'transitions' lenses several years ago and didn't like them.  They didn't get dark enough for me in the sun, and took too long to go back to clear once inside a building.  They were dark when I wanted them clear, and clear when I wanted them dark.

Now I have both prescription sunglasses and several pairs of fitovers.  Much better!!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have been fortunate enough not to need prescription glasses yet.  I have had to use reading glasses for awhile.

I really don't want to wear them and considering contact lenses at least sometimes.

My question about glasses is, for the fashion aspect, do you get the ones that change lighter and darker in the light.  I know my husband insists on them, and he has worn glasses much of his life.  I don't think I like them, but I've never worn them.

So, what do those of you who wear glasses choose?

Hyacinth

For me, I wouldn't go without Transition lenses.  I love that they get dark in the outdoor sun and go back to clear when inside.  It allows me to do so much more outside without having to change glasses all the time.  

Back in the 70s and 80s, some brands would eventually not go all the way back to clear but they do now.  I've worn the Transitions brand for at least 20 years and have never had a problem.

Transitions brand has a deal going that if you buy one pair of transition lenses, the second set of lenses is $50 so I had new lenses put in an old pair of frames.

The only down side is that they don't go very dark in the car because of the UV windows. I have been wearing sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses for years, but no more - when I was at the eye dr this week, they had a huge deal going so I am having sunglass lenses put into an old pair of frames.

I've worn glasses since I was 7 and will always get Transition lenses.  I can't imagine not having them.

Trusted Contributor

Personally I wouldn't buy transition lenses.  My husband has then and does like them but there are many things I notice about his which would bother me.

If you are inside near a window they turn dark

After coming inside it takes awhile to transition back to clear

They do not always transition while driving in a car

The frames aren't big enough to support your eyes on the sides.

My husband still will wear fit overs in the car

I prefer prescription sunglasses.  I also tried fit overs however they are too big for my face.

Respected Contributor

The problem for me is they dont get dark in the car and thats where I need it.  Also, just as an after thought. I had then when I was a bridesmaid and I ruined all her outside pictures because they turned dark!!  I looked like an idiot.

Frequent Contributor

I tried them 30 +years ago.  It was fine in the sunlight. In the house at night, I had to turn on every light because it seemed dark to me. The techology should have changed by now so they may be better.