Honored Contributor

Question about lids for our beauty experts

I've always wondered (but gone ahead and done my own thing anyway) about the secondary "lid" that you find in many product containers with a screw top lid.

You know the one I mean, a little round plastic layer that goes between the lid and often lies right on the actual product.  

Sometimes it's just a little flimsy piece and sometimes it has some structural integrity and maybe a little tag of its own for you to pull.

I most often throw them away after a while but I was wondering if anyone knows whether the consumer is meant to keep them or are they just mostly for helping keep the products safe, clean, and uncontaminated during the packaging process.

Anybody know for sure?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about lids for our beauty experts

I'd like to know this also!  😮

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Personally, if it's a product that's just going to sit on my vanity or countertop, I throw this lid away because it's just easier to access the product without it.  If I'm taking the product travelling, however, I keep it on there just to keep the product off the outer lid and having a mess to deal with at my destination. HTH

Honored Contributor

I've learned the hard way that if you travel with these containers, keep the secondary lid.  Even if it is saturated cardboard, it will help prevent leakage. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass

LOL... I think we answered simultaneously. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I toss them. If I had to travel then I would take a small amount of cream, or whatever, and put it in a leak-proof container.

Honored Contributor

I have never thought that they were for anything than keeping the integrity of product until opened. It would never occur to me to keep them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I recall reading an article by a beauty editor.  A reader posted the same question.  After polling a number of dermatologists the consensus was...keep.  Second lid helps to limit the breakdown of active ingredients.  The article was a few years ago...and perhaps the answer is different today...depending on who you talk to...and which way the wind is blowing😀

Respected Contributor

I keep mine, if they are the sturdy plastic ones with the tab for lifting.  I keep my jars laying on their side, in a basket, label side up, so I can see what is what.  Plus it's easier to see how much product I actually have left, as the creams are all to one side in the jars.  Some jars are big, with the false bottoms.  You think you have more than you really do.  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I think if the product is in a jar, every time you stick your fingers in, you’re contaminating the contents. Putting the inner lid on just seals in the bacteria. I toss them.

Before cleansing and/or using skincare, I wash my hands first. I purchase little spatulas or popsicle sticks at Dollar Store, etc. I use those to take product out of the jar and don’t double dip...use other end of stick if I need more. 

When traveling, I transfer to smaller containers leaving room at the top for expansion....Definitely keep samples of the products so have smaller sizes to refill and not have to label. 

Picture Josie w/ her hands in her argan creams....ewwwwh!