Honored Contributor

Re: Question about hair coloring or not -- any hair pros here that could answer a question?

You will not be able to remove the color from your hair to see what your natural color is.  Every time you applied the blonde color, the light brown natural color was lifted from your hair. Blonde color bleaches your natural hair color out.  There is a product that removes color, but it is very harsh and drying.  It is used mainly on hair that has a build up of color or a color that is too dark.

Once the color is removed, a new color must be applied on top because the hair is stained a very unnatural color.

You can just let your hair grow out naturally or color it a light brown and let it grow out, the blonde color and gray will show through as highlights as the light brown will fade a little.  

I can tell you that most people who have blonde or light brown hair naturally will not have beautiful silver or ultra white hair when they go gray,  The gray is usually a mousy color that is not flattering.

Most women with this combination will color their hair for life and it looks great.

Dark brunettes will gray to a silver color then white as they get older and natural redheads will gray to a pretty white right away that blends in well with the red.

I am a licensed hairdresser with salt and pepper hair..... no color, so I am not against going natural.

Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about hair coloring or not -- any hair pros here that could answer a question?

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  What color is your growout? Sometimes you need to part your hair in different places to see as it can vary from front to back.

It would be worth the money to have a professional hair colorist help you especially since you have long hair.

Respected Contributor

you cannot go back to virgin hair on hair that's been colored and using a color remover will not restore your hair to it natural color.   look at your root growth, untreated that is your natural color now.

i would not use rinses, i have used  temporary color like ION and these are highly pigmented you apply with no mixing, but they can stain the hair shaft.   oh, and there is no longer a good blonde shade, they discontinued it.    

i have been letting my roots go and i do not like what i am seeing!   the gray looks bad and washes me out. i don't want to go permanent so i use 10v with a demi

Respected Contributor

color oops  will remove color but will not be your natural as an end result.  I have tried the temporary color for a tad over a year and It worked!!  I sadly caved in and dyed my hair so I have ot start from scratchSmiley Sad

Valued Contributor

Funny this topic came up today, I just had a friend post pictures of her hair salon colorist do a reverse process because she can no longer use hair color on her scalp.  It is a two-appointment process with six-weeks between each appointment.  She was a dark auburn and had to have hair foils in her hair which took many hours to do, but was necessary.  So she went from dark hair to a far lighter shade and will eventually go to the natural white and it will stay that way and no longer wear color.  

It is expensive, but you for sure want to do it right and only a licensed hair colorist should do this kind of procedure.  It turned out well, but this is only the first step.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

paging @Irshgrl31201...   

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have very long hair that I have been coloring myself for years.  A blonde shade --- very light that has become my trademark and I get a lot of compliments on!  I used to be a blonde as a child and am very fair with blue eyes so this suits my coloring.  However, at age 64, of course I have a lot of natural gray.  I haven't colored my hair for a bit because I want to try and see what my real color situation is.  It appears to be salt and pepper --- a lot of gray but still a lot of kind of a dirty blonde or light brown color.  I have been toying with the idea of trying to go natural again, but not sure how to go about it or even if I will like it.

Is there a way for a hair pro to remove the color on my hair without damaging it so that I can see what my natural color would look like?  I know a couple of times when I decided to use a different color on my hair and the results were not good, I went to a salon and they were able to remove the offensive color --- but this was mainly just on the re-growth.

Or would another solution be to try to use a tempoary rinse of some sort to apply all over that is darker until my real color grows out -- which would take forever since my hair is so long???

I would appreciate any advice that the hair pros here could give me before I consult a sylist!  Thank you!!!! 

I think the best thing to do, is to get a consultation with a good colorist.

I am all for do as much as you can yourself but coloring my hair is hard to do on yr own head.  I do mine but miss spots.

Attempting something like you want to do needs more input

@jackthebear

I've colored my hair for years.  I liked the results better than when I've gone to salons! But now I am at a point where I am uncertain what to do.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I am not a hair pro but I've colored my hair for years and have decided to grow out my gray to see what I have. I'm three months along but I have a short layered style so I think in another three months I'll be done. My hair was colored a light golden brown and so far it is blending well with the gray coming in. But there are temporary rinses you can purchase at Sally's or my hairdresser said some people have low lights or high lights added to help blend the growth if needed. 

@itsmagic

You hair do sounds nice!  Unfortunately mine being so long I think would be really hard to just let it grow out naturally!  Yuck!  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

In lieu of cutting your hair I would suggest an appt. w/a colorist at a salon. You may want to grow blonde color out by first using highlights/lowlights.

@maestra

Yes, maybe a little cut but not ready for the full chop!  I think a consult is in the works! Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1,      Years ago my hair stylist colored my hair too dark.  He then took me to the sink area and applied a product to lift the color so it does exist.  I have no idea of the name of the product.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1

I'm sure they probably have a lot more products and tricks than we know about!  Thanks!