Esteemed Contributor

Question about eyeshadow palettes

I have my eye on a new eyeshadow palette collection from ELF. The palette has a couple colors I already own, so to those who have many palettes, do you find a lot of duplicate colors? And do you use them much? A few duplicate colors might be OK, but I don't want to order if they won't be used often. I hope this question makes sense.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about eyeshadow palettes

I’m sure I have plenty of duplicates amongst my palettes, but I’m not going to pull out more than one palette to do my eyes. For me, it’s not necessarily about the shades as it about the overall looks I can create with the palettes.

And let’s be honest, it’s because they’re pretty and I like to collect them.
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw   I try not to purchase palettes with duplicate shades, but if you stay with one line of shadow palettes, it's inevitable that there may be a duplicate shade or two. 

I try to stay with a color story within a palette like purple/lilac tones, greys or nudes. 

I agree with @RollTide2008 that I prefer to take out and open one palette at a time.

Respected Contributor

I have palettes and enjoy using them when I am away from home. Only one in my makeup bag, and I am good to go. I prefer individual shadows for at home use. I do see a lot of waste in palettes. Two or three colors disappear leaving three or so going to waste. The duds end up in the garbage. Buying colors individually saves money and space.

For those applying makeup as a hobby for entertainment, their use of palettes would be entirely different from mine.

Honored Contributor

I plead the 5th.
Super Contributor

@monicakm Hahaha 

Super Contributor

I thought.... why limit this to eyeshadow palettes lol.  It seems whenever I buy sets of anything (mascaras, lipsticks, nail polish, beauty kits, etc.) I always end up with duplicates. Since I very rarely get down to pan because I'm always switching up my stash and buying new, I'm OK with duplicates. I enjoy variety and love checking out new products. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

If the palettes are relatively inexpensive it wouldn't bother me to have duplicates.  But if I'm paying big bucks for one, those other shadows in there better be worth the cost.

Honored Contributor

If it's a palette I want, I don't worry about color overlap.  It's bound to happen. I've also bought palettes because there are a few colors I really like, to the disregard of other shades in the palette. Sometimes I'll use colors from more than one palette, to get the outcome in want. The good thing is that you're looking at an ELF palette so it's not a ton of money.  If you like it, go for it. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
I plead the 5th.

@monicakm - I am LOL - great response.  Think I'll plead the 5th too.