Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Question about Timeless Vitamin C Serum

I have been using this for a couple years.  I heard about it and it sure is less expensive than some other brands.

A question just occurred to me though.  The Timeless serum is clearish, watery, with a slight alcohol scent to me.

I have used Skinceuticals and Drunk Elephant brands too.  Theirs are the same with the scent of hot dogs, bacon, and sticky.

I prefer the Timeless, but am I really getting the same thing?

Hyacinth

Contributor

Re: Question about Timeless Vitamin C Serum

I've been using timeless vitamin c for several years and have had great results. What I notice is that it gets that hotdog smell when the bottle gets older and towards the end of the bottle. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

FYI...that  "hot dog" smell comes from ferulic acid. Nice, huh? Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read that about the "hotdog" smell before too, @SilleeMee.  @hyacinth003 - you would have to do an ingredient deck comparison to see if they were exact.  Just because they both say "Vitamin C w/Ferulic Acid" doesn't ensure each is using the same amounts of the key ingredients.  But even if one contains lesser amounts than another, they both can still be called the same thing.  And even if the labels are identical, you won't know the sources of the ingredients so individual quality may or may not impact the finished product.  Stuff that's commercially manufactured has a recipe that has to be followed, as it is tested by quality control and batches are identified and documented just in case there's any public problem, they can trace back to the batch and even sources of ingredients within said batch.  Something like Timeless might be a very good product, but when made in smaller batches by a private source they don't have to follow as strict a process so you never know if they're fudging the recipe a little here or there.  JMO 

Respected Contributor

The scent of the Timeless is so different from the other two.

The Skinceuticals and Drunk Elephant smell the same, where the Timeless does not.  Those other two are way more expensive.  Sure, I'm happier paying less, but ?

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

The Skinceuticals and Drunk Elephant smell the same, where the Timeless does not.  Those other two are way more expensive.  Sure, I'm happier paying less, but ?

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

I guess what it comes down to is, are you seeing any results? I've been using the Timeless serum for about six weeks and I'm seeing benefits.  Use whatever works for you.

Respected Contributor

I keep my Timeless C refrigerated, and have never smelled anything.
Valued Contributor

I've noticed this too, and on my skin the timeless seems to absorb better than skinceuticals because it's less sticky.  I haven't tried drunk elephant.  I used skinceuticals for years and switched timeless about a year ago and for me it seems the timeless is just as effective as skinceuticals.  Plus since it's so cheap I use it on my face, neck, chest, hands and tops of my thighs that have some sun damage. I haven't seen timeless disclose the level of ferulic in the serum though.

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

I guess what it comes down to is, are you seeing any results? I've been using the Timeless serum for about six weeks and I'm seeing benefits.  Use whatever works for you.

@hyacinth003, @Texasmouse

I echo this.  The most expensive doesn't always mean better.  Gauge on results.  I was using a pricier Vit. C by NCN which I liked and was quite effective.  I use Timeless with equally good results-- that's the bottom line.

Respected Contributor

My skin is pretty good, and I can't really tell if it has actually helped. 

It does absorb well compared to the other serums. 

I don't have brown spots to measure its results.  I have used Retin-A since my daughter rejected it as treatment for acne!  I have used it for at least 10 years.

I believe in the science of Vitamin C and skin care.  I will keep using it anyway.  But would like to make sure what I use is effective.

Hyacinth