Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Retinol and BHA/AHA lotions

@seehorse wrote:

@River Song wrote:

I have Googled my little heart out on recommendations from 'experts' regarding the use of retinols and acids together at night and I've come to the conclusion that it depends on your skin and the products that you are using.  It's all trial and error.

I used to use acids in the AM and retinol in the PM, based on what the 'experts' recommended.  But, recently, I've added Paula's Choice BHA liquid and an inexpensive glycolic face cream (Walgreens house brand, similar to the Alpha Hydrox souffle cream) to my AM and PM routines and you know what, my complexion has noticeably improved.  I'm amazed and delighted with the positive changes these two acid products have had on my skin.  So, for my skin and the other products I'm using, adding BHA and AHA to my PM routine with retinol has been a very positive improvement. 

Hi River Song,

Can you tell us in what order you're applying?

Thanks!

Morning:

1. cleanser

2. 2% BHA liquid (just a couple of drops in my palm, not soaking a cotton round)

3. Vit. C serum

4. 8% AHA face cream (a tiny bit diluted with a few drops of water to make a thin lotion)

5. Eye cream

6. SPF 50 sunscreen

Evening:

1. cleanser

2. 2% BHA liquid

3. Antioxidant serum

4. Retinol serum

5. 8% AHA face cream

6. Eye cream

At 59, I still have a slightly oily t-zone, so I'm not slathering on thick layers of any of the serums or face creams.  I usually thin them out with a few drops of water before applying them to my face.  My skin feels moisturized but not greasy.  My intent with using very small amounts of the BHA and AHA two times per day is to help the skin's natural exfoliation along since I'm no longer a spring chicken but I don't want to use so much that I get irritation, dryness or peeling.

Also, I'm not waiting any appreciable amount of time before applying the next product.  I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't make much difference because it all gets mixed together on your skin anyway, so why bother with 'wait times' or worrying very much about the order in which I apply the products.  You'll also notice that I don't use a toner after the cleanser, still not completely convinced I need one, but I just ordered Paula's Choice Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner, so I'll see if the toner makes any noticeable improvement. 

Regular Contributor

I don't have sensitive skin, but I've started using her 2% BHA liquid prior to applying the 1% retinol treatment by Paula's Choice and I've actually had less flakiness using it this way.  I could probably use it every night this way, but I don't.  I probably use it 4-5 times a week and haven't had any problems. 

Frequent Contributor

Like others have commented, you can use retinol with acids now. I suspect it is the newer retinol delivery systems that allow them to play together. I prefer to use them separately, as my results are better that way. I use a 2% BHA gel, a glycolic AHA, and a 15% Vitamin C with E and Ferulic acid in that order in the morning. I use a retinol serum and cream at night. Again, this works best for me.

Valued Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@seehorse wrote:

@River Song wrote:

I have Googled my little heart out on recommendations from 'experts' regarding the use of retinols and acids together at night and I've come to the conclusion that it depends on your skin and the products that you are using.  It's all trial and error.

I used to use acids in the AM and retinol in the PM, based on what the 'experts' recommended.  But, recently, I've added Paula's Choice BHA liquid and an inexpensive glycolic face cream (Walgreens house brand, similar to the Alpha Hydrox souffle cream) to my AM and PM routines and you know what, my complexion has noticeably improved.  I'm amazed and delighted with the positive changes these two acid products have had on my skin.  So, for my skin and the other products I'm using, adding BHA and AHA to my PM routine with retinol has been a very positive improvement. 

Hi River Song,

Can you tell us in what order you're applying?

Thanks!

Morning:

1. cleanser

2. 2% BHA liquid (just a couple of drops in my palm, not soaking a cotton round)

3. Vit. C serum

4. 8% AHA face cream (a tiny bit diluted with a few drops of water to make a thin lotion)

5. Eye cream

6. SPF 50 sunscreen

Evening:

1. cleanser

2. 2% BHA liquid

3. Antioxidant serum

4. Retinol serum

5. 8% AHA face cream

6. Eye cream

At 59, I still have a slightly oily t-zone, so I'm not slathering on thick layers of any of the serums or face creams.  I usually thin them out with a few drops of water before applying them to my face.  My skin feels moisturized but not greasy.  My intent with using very small amounts of the BHA and AHA two times per day is to help the skin's natural exfoliation along since I'm no longer a spring chicken but I don't want to use so much that I get irritation, dryness or peeling.

Also, I'm not waiting any appreciable amount of time before applying the next product.  I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't make much difference because it all gets mixed together on your skin anyway, so why bother with 'wait times' or worrying very much about the order in which I apply the products.  You'll also notice that I don't use a toner after the cleanser, still not completely convinced I need one, but I just ordered Paula's Choice Resist Weightless Advanced Repairing Toner, so I'll see if the toner makes any noticeable improvement. 

River Song,

Thanks for the info!