Respected Contributor

Question On Buying Cosmetics at Drugstores like CVS…

[ Edited ]

Been trying to find a good replacement for my Holy Grail concealer Mally stopped making several years ago. I went through my IT phase...too heavy & thick, color wasn't great on me.

Used up an old LG cream one in a lip stick tube, I don't even seen anymore...it was just ok.

I've been trying ones from CVS. Was happy first try I found a Loreal, "Pro-Glo" "Infallible", something like that in a thin tube, with doe foot applicator...only about $10 and I liked it...light, but covered and stayed on, didn't look cakey. Can't get it at my local CVS's again for whatever reason. I do think it's online, might be at Walmart.

Question: I tried what they had in a Maybelline one...wrong color, didn't like the look of it on at all. Can you return things that you've opened to CVS, if not right? I'd have never thought to do that, but my trial and error adds up and I thought I'd seen someone say that once here. So, just wondering if anyone has experience with them taking back opened products that didn't work for you...especially since you can't test anything.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question On Buying Cosmetics at Drugstores like CVS…

@amyb 

It's been awhile since I did this, but - yes -- I have returned several opened makeup items with no problem as long as I had the receipt.  They asked me the reason --- but didn't give me any problem and returned the money.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I'd say you can.  This is from CVS's return policy:

"Be 100% happy or receive 100% money back on any beauty products. If you're dissatisfied for any reason, you can return the beauty product (opened or unopened) along with your receipt or invoice to any CVS Pharmacy store."

Honored Contributor

@amyb   If you have an ULTA near you, they stock some drugstore makeup and are better regarding returns. They also carry NYX and other brands with a larger color range. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the input~already very helpful...I will return to CVS. (I really hate it...makes me look like I'm covering a bruised eye for whatever reason!) So disappointing to throw money away on makeup you know you'll never use.

And I will go to Ulta~there's one 2 minutes from me, right next to the Fresh Market I shop at every week, and I've never been inside!

Thanks a lot, all.

ps. and by the way, next question...IF anyone has a drugstore concealer they love, do tell, and why? Concealer is my "desert island" product, because I've had hereditary dark circles since I was a little girl, so finding one I love, especially at this age, is important to me. Like with a good haircut/style...when it looks good, everything looks good, when it doesn't, nothing looks right. Tks in advance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If $ isn't an issue, you may have more luck at a cosmetic counter.  Let them shade match you, tell you which concealer is best coverage etc.  

If you want heavy coverage for your dark circles drugstore price I suggest ELF Camo concealer $6

Respected Contributor

NYX Dark Circle Concealer is a good drugstore product. CVS and Ulta carry NYX. Tarte shape tape is the one I am using now and it does a good job. Your local ULTA may have Tarte.

NYX Professional Makeup Dark Circle Concealer Medium, Beauty & Personal  Care, Face, Makeup on Carousell

Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Thank you all for the input~already very helpful...I will return to CVS. (I really hate it...makes me look like I'm covering a bruised eye for whatever reason!) So disappointing to throw money away on makeup you know you'll never use.

And I will go to Ulta~there's one 2 minutes from me, right next to the Fresh Market I shop at every week, and I've never been inside!

Thanks a lot, all.

ps. and by the way, next question...IF anyone has a drugstore concealer they love, do tell, and why? Concealer is my "desert island" product, because I've had hereditary dark circles since I was a little girl, so finding one I love, especially at this age, is important to me. Like with a good haircut/style...when it looks good, everything looks good, when it doesn't, nothing looks right. Tks in advance.

@amyb , I am a drugstore cosmetic person.  My favorite drugstore concealers are ELF Hydrating Camo but it is thicker.  A little bit goes a long way.  You have to be careful.

I also love Milani Conceal + Perfect.  That provides good coverage and isn't as thick as the ELF.  One of my newer finds that I have really come to like is Wet N Wild Incognito.  It is $4.00 at Target.

I have terrible dark circles so I need a pretty heavy duty concealer.  But don't want something dry and cakey under my eyes.  A good eye moisturizer is a must for me.