Respected Contributor

Re: Question: Nice Looking Teeth and Dental Care

I get my teeth cleaned every 4 months and x-rays with the dentist exam once a year (unless the hygienist sees something of concern before that). 

Honored Contributor

My entire life, I've always gone to the dentist every 6 months which is what they recommend.  I've always had terrible teeth with a million cavaties.  Several years ago, I started using a prescription fluoride toothpaste and it has reduced my cavaties to zero.   I only wish I'd had it years ago.  It's called Clinpro. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

I didn't know what a "veneer" was.  I used to work with a woman who had a veneer on her front tooth.  It looked weird because it didn't MATCH her other teeth.

You can not tell which of my teeth has the veneer. The Dentist made sure that it matched my other front teeth, in color and shape. I am very pleased with the work. 

Honored Contributor

I go for a cleaning every 6 months.  X rays they do regular but I can not remember exactly how often. I had 3 root canals this year.... with my teeth it is always something.....

Honored Contributor

I go for a dental check up every six months.  X-rays once a year and those panoramic x-rays every three years 

I have always had a small gap in my upper teeth.  I never wanted braces to fix it.  I am okay with it.  My teeth are in good shape and not stained or crooked.

Respected Contributor

I floss and brush daily. I get my teeth cleaned 2 X per year. When I am there the dentist checks my teeth. I rarely have a cavity, but if I do I make another appointment for the repair. I have had several root canals due to broken teeth. I am over my fear of dentistry years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Do you go to the dentist every 1-3 years?

How often does the dentist clean your teeth?

How often do you get your bitewings x-rayed?

I really dislike going to the dentist, but strangely enuf, I have developed a gap in between my 2 upper front teeth.  At my age, it makes look .. uh, goofy.  And it's just plain uncomfortable.

I'm thinking about getting braces -- or whatever they use these days to straighten teeth.

Has anyone else had this problem late in life?

DH and I see our hygienist for cleaning and xrays every six months.  At that appointment, she notes anything that looks questionable.  Toward the end of the cleaning appointment, the dentist comes in and looks over everything and they discuss the hygienist's findings.  The dentist then recommends whatever work might be needed, if any.  I know it sounds weird, but I've been going to this practice for almost 27 yrs. and actually enjoy going to my appointments.   

I don't know your age, but my DH got Invisaligns when he was in his early 50's to help close a few gaps.  It worked, but they didn't close completely and he needed veneers.  It worked well for him.

Trusted Contributor

My teeth are cleaned every 3 months, with x rays once per year unless I am having a problem or the hygienist notices a possible problem. 

Valued Contributor

I wore Invisalign braces in my early 60s then had crowns put on most of my teeth. They are beautiful and were worth every hard earned cent. 

I get my teeth cleaned at least every six months but if they feel a little fuzzy, I might go a bit earlier. I floss every time I eat, chew gum sweetened with xylitol, and use a Sonic Care toothbrush with a new brush head at least every three months. 

I place a high value on clean teeth and a healthy heart so I consider my dentist, hygienists, and dental assistant my partners in healthcare.  

I would highly recommend braces for someone over 60. Fixing your bite makes such a difference in comfort.

Valued Contributor

@RinaRina: I know my teeth have shifted since I wore braces many, many years ago. For the heck of it a few months ago I tried on my retainer. It feels like it belonged to someone else! However, no changes are noticeable when I smile or talk. (I like a small gap; but I'm assuming you're not comfortable with it.) If you wish to get your original smile back, I'd definitely consult with the dentist to see what is recommended. I don't know anything about veneers, but it seems as though that is a great option.  (I don't think braces look bad on adults, either.) Whatever you decide, good luck with it! Let us know. Smiley Happy