Respected Contributor

Question: Nice Looking Teeth and Dental Care

Do you go to the dentist every 1-3 years?

How often does the dentist clean your teeth?

How often do you get your bitewings x-rayed?

I really dislike going to the dentist, but strangely enuf, I have developed a gap in between my 2 upper front teeth.  At my age, it makes look .. uh, goofy.  And it's just plain uncomfortable.

I'm thinking about getting braces -- or whatever they use these days to straighten teeth.

Has anyone else had this problem late in life?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

Re: Question: Nice Looking Teeth and Dental Care

i go every 4 months to get my teeth cleaned. can't stand the feeling of plaque, so i look forward to my dental visits. teeth tend to move as we get older. my mom developed that gap in her front teeth too. she let it be though. if you're thinking about braces, maybe you can get invisalign. 

Esteemed Contributor

I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months and x-rays once a year.  If you are concerned about a gap or anything with your teeth, ask your dentist. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

The Dentist might go with a veneer. Braces might not be the best approach on older teeth. By using a veneer, they can put a coating on the teeth and fill in the gap.

I have a veneer on my front tooth that was chipped. I have had the veneer redone 3 times in 40 years. The last time was about 15 years ago. Must less work and cost than braces.

Honored Contributor

I've always liked going to the dentist.  I have cleanings 2x a year and xrays 1x a year.  

Esteemed Contributor

I go every six months for a cleaning. I get x rays every 2 years.

I had a veneer put in a few years ago, the tooth came in kind of out of whack. Now, they look even, believe it or not. The dentist also filed a few of my front teeth. A couple had tiny chips now, they are all even.

One thing I have learned, dentists are like drs. They do not all have the same capabilities.

Respected Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I go every six months for a cleaning. I get x rays every 2 years.

I had a veneer put in a few years ago, the tooth came in kind of out of whack. Now, they look even, believe it or not. The dentist also filed a few of my front teeth. A couple had tiny chips now, they are all even.

One thing I have learned, dentists are like drs. They do not all have the same capabilities.

Exactly!  My dentist retired last year and I'm seeing the person who took over.  Fortunately, she's an orthodontist.  I'll see what she has to say tomorrow.

Woman Embarassed

BTW, not only do I dislike going to the dentist, but I went to my old dentist for 6 years and only "allowed" him to clean my teeth once.  He used chocolate flavored cleaner, which I thought was stupid and that was the end of that.  Woman Embarassed

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I get cleanings 2 times a year. I get an exam once a year where the hygienist  takes about 4 or 6  films. I swear, I never get out of that exam with a clean bill, dentist always finds something!

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

The Dentist might go with a veneer. Braces might not be the best approach on older teeth. By using a veneer, they can put a coating on the teeth and fill in the gap.

I have a veneer on my front tooth that was chipped. I have had the veneer redone 3 times in 40 years. The last time was about 15 years ago. Must less work and cost than braces.

Ohhhh! Veneers!  That might work!
Image result for dental veneers

Respected Contributor

I didn't know what a "veneer" was.  I used to work with a woman who had a veneer on her front tooth.  It looked weird because it didn't MATCH her other teeth.