Respected Contributor

Re: Question About Laura Geller Balance-N-Brighten Shades

@vermint wrote:

@grammarqueen I'm an Autumn-into-Winter, fair skinned, neutral tones. I've used the Fair Balance & Brighten for years with great success. It's never mattered what the contents of the compact were in terms of "swirls", it's always worked for me! There is no sparkle of any kind in the Balance & Brighten, either, and I've checked it both on my face and in the compact under many different lights. I'm 62, with some fine lines...no settling problems with B & B.

I've used so many compacts of this stuff, I've lost count...and I have 3 waiting in the wings!

ITA. I tried so many others and always come back to B&B.  It does run a little dark so I use Fair. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I am very fair with a cool tone and I use porcelain. The fair is too dark for me and too warm. i think you would use fair from your description. This is a great product because you can you it alone or layer it under or over other products. It lasts a long time. 

@Fressa

I know this is an old post but I wanted to ask you about your experience with this product and also the porcelain color.  Your post says you are very fair with a cool tone. I recently ordered this product in fair and while I like the product a lot I think it is a tad too dark, making me look a bit sunburned at times!  

I had looked at the porcelain in a store and tried it on the back of my hand and thought -- this looks so pale --- like there is no color to it.  It doesn't seem like there would be any coverage to this shade.  What do you think about that?  Or are you basically just using it over a foundation as just a finishing powder?

I am quite fair and have cool in my skin, also -- definitely no gold or yellow tones.  But I am not ghostly white, as I have pink in my skin.  

I would love to use this product but am thinking I might not be able to get the color I need.  I wish there was a shade somewhat darker than porcelain with the cool tones and not gold like the fair shade has.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I had originally ordered the fair because there wasn't porcelin shade option. I found it to be a bit dark for me as well. The shade can seem different on the hand/wrist than on your face but there really isn't any other way to test the sample.  I find that there is color in the porcelin and it works great for me. I use it as a foundation 90% of the time. I have quite a few issues and sometimes have a lot of redness in my face from allergies, etc. This will calm that down. It seems to neutrilize all those blothy spots or hot spots on the face. I've used it to correct a "too much blush" mistake and as a finishing powder if I'm having a really bad allergy day. I think you would probably be more the porcelin shade than the fair from your description. Hope this helps you. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I had originally ordered the fair because there wasn't porcelin shade option. I found it to be a bit dark for me as well. The shade can seem different on the hand/wrist than on your face but there really isn't any other way to test the sample.  I find that there is color in the porcelin and it works great for me. I use it as a foundation 90% of the time. I have quite a few issues and sometimes have a lot of redness in my face from allergies, etc. This will calm that down. It seems to neutrilize all those blothy spots or hot spots on the face. I've used it to correct a "too much blush" mistake and as a finishing powder if I'm having a really bad allergy day. I think you would probably be more the porcelin shade than the fair from your description. Hope this helps you. 

@Fressa

Thanks a lot for responding!  Yes, your comments do help a lot.  I just ordered the porcelain.  Yes, it is hard to try out these items in stores.  I mean, you don't want to put these samples on your face after who knows how many people have messed with them!  Once I get the porcelain and try it out for a couple days, I will make up my mind and see if either shade seems doable.  if not, one or both will go back.  I hope I am able to work with one because I really do love the feel of this product and also the ease of it.  I am bound and determined to find a nice powder foundation that will work for me!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I’m usually a light/medium and in LG I use fair.

Honored Contributor

For me it runs dark, I am usually a medium and the B and B medium looks like mud on me. I also find it looks very blotchy.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

For me it runs dark, I am usually a medium and the B and B medium looks like mud on me. I also find it looks very blotchy.

Me too by switched to Fair and love it.