Honored Contributor

I was looking at the OTO from Josie Maran for the balm duo. I have used body butters, lotions,souffles, and creams but never a balm. I was wondering how you use this? Do you use it as you would after a shower or is it used in some other ways?

Esteemed Contributor

Just for the sake of trying to describe how Josie's Argan Balm looks think pertroleum jelly.  That's sort of close to how it may look to you when you see it for the first time.  Another comparison is L'Occitane's 100% Shea Butter in the tin.  The L'Occitane shea is actually quite similar in appearance and texture to Josie's balm. 

You have to emulsify the balm in your hands for use. There isn't any place from head to toe where you can't use it.  It can be used on hair as a hair dressing pomade; face and neck; body; is terrific on hands and feet.  I love dabbing a bit on fine lines around the eyes to lock in my eye cream overnight when drying the indoor heat is on.  How much you use depends on how much the place where you're applying it needs.  It's an extremely versatile multi-use product. 

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Just for the sake of trying to describe how Josie's Argan Balm looks think pertroleum jelly.  That's sort of close to how it may look to you when you see it for the first time.  Another comparison is L'Occitane's 100% Shea Butter in the tin.  The L'Occitane shea is actually quite similar in appearance and texture to Josie's balm. 

You have to emulsify the balm in your hands for use. There isn't any place from head to toe where you can't use it.  It can be used on hair as a hair dressing pomade; face and neck; body; is terrific on hands and feet.  I love dabbing a bit on fine lines around the eyes to lock in my eye cream overnight when drying the indoor heat is on.  How much you use depends on how much the place where you're applying it needs.  It's an extremely versatile multi-use product. 

@Trix, thank you for your reply. I don't think this is for me, I'll stick with my souffles and butters.

Respected Contributor

I think you should try the balm. It is a little more concentrated than the butter.  It's good for "spots."   I keep it on my night table and one in the kitchen,  Use it for cuticles, feet, and when really dry as a hand cream.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's anything like petroleum jelly, not in texture or use and certainly not by ingredients. It's more like shea butter. I love her argan balm. I use it on my feet to soften and moisturize. Usually I use the micropedi, body butter and then top with the balm because it provides a moisture barrier. It's also great as a lip balm, elbows, for heat rash, cuticles, taming frizzy ends ect.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Okay, so reading some of the comments I caved and purchased the balm duo! I really wanted it for the scents. 

Valued Contributor

Very good description.  I bought the lemon verbena last year, I haven't used it much.  

The butter is so much easier.  It is nice for a cuticle softener, which is how I use it in the winter.

Respected Contributor

I used to love her balms but the last couple I had were gritty. I contacted their CS and they said that there was nothing wrong with the product but I just didn't like it. I'm sticking with my pure Shea butter from Bath and Bodyworks. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love JM body butters. I use the balm on my lips and to soften my cuticles. I also use it on my elbows. It's a boost to those areas that are tough to smooth or for you hands/lips. I've even use dit on a hard callous and it was much easier to to my callous remover.

Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom, the statement in my first post was: "Just for the sake of trying to describe how Josie's Argan Balm looks think pertroleum jelly."  There's nothing in that statement about how it actually feels and performs. The point was the balm may look like a jar of Vaseline to someone the first time they see it.  One use would correct that perception.

I happen to love Argan Balm.  I use it frequently, especially now that we've entered the indoor heating season. It has touched just about every place on my body from scalp to toes and heels. Woman Happy