Valued Contributor

Re: QVC hand sanitizer is not for virus! It is anti-bacterial

From the CDC website: 

Background

• Hand hygiene is an important part of the U.S. response to the international emergence of COVID-19. Practicing hand hygiene, which includes the use of alcohol-based hand rub (ABHR) or handwashing, is a simple yet effective way to prevent the spread of pathogens and infections in healthcare settings. CDC recommendations reflect this important role.
  • The exact contribution of hand hygiene to the reduction of direct and indirect spread of coronaviruses between people is currently unknown. However, hand washing mechanically removes pathogens, and laboratory data demonstrate that ABHR formulations containing 80% ethanol or 75% isopropanol, both of which are in the range of alcohol concentrations recommended by CDC, inactivate SARS-CoV-2.
  • ABHR effectively reduces the number of pathogens that may be present on the hands of healthcare providers after brief interactions with patients or the care environment.

Hygiene Methods

• CDC recommends using ABHR with greater than 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol in healthcare settings. Unless hands are visibly soiled, an alcohol-based hand rub is preferred over soap and water in most clinical situations due to evidence of better compliance compared to soap and water. Hand rubs are generally less irritating to hands and are effective in the absence of a sink. 
  • Hands should be washed with soap and water for at least 20 seconds when visibly soiled, before eating, and after using the restroom. Learn more about hand hygiene in healthcare settings
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ceci  You can make your own with 60% Isopropl alcohol and other ingredients.  However, years ago when hand sanitizer came out it was on the news that if you use it constantly it will not kill germs.  You really don't know what to believe.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Ceci  You can make your own with 60% Isopropl alcohol and other ingredients.  However, years ago when hand sanitizer came out it was on the news that if you use it constantly it will not kill germs.  You really don't know what to believe.

I remember that.  I have never been a hand sanitizer person, just washing, but now keep it around the house.  I have seen it at Target the last few times I've been there.