Frequent Contributor

QVC -Tears us down in the guise of building us up?

[ Edited ]

I had QVC on in the background and was half-way listening until I heard Shawn K. (on with Dr. Denese), describing a woman's skin in a before picture as reptilian!  Really?

Shawn and Dr. D pointed out fluid filled bags, number 11s, corners of mouth that turned down, nasolabial folds, above the lip wrinkles. 

The next woman, they said has so many issues, besides her "3 dimensional fat pads she has an almost like a reptiley, bubbley, crepey skin" under her eyes.

In the after photo, she had used the product and now, according to Dr. Denese she goes to church and out with her friends and is confident.

So they pick apart the women in the before pictures, pointing out any and all possible flaws, only to wax poetic about the "after" photos - which in my mind were not all that different from the before photos (but I digress). 

I am assuming that the point in drawing attention to every flaw in that before photo is to hit upon a flaw that the viewer has, so that she will purchase this amazing product to make her more presentable in the world and that she can have confidence (because she should NOT be confident if she has not bought or used a product to address her flaws!).

This is lifting women up?

Does it also make one think about even more "flaws" that they may have but did not even remotely think of as "flaws"?  

I think this is now over the top - tearing down women for the sake of a sale in the guise of "building them up" - empowering them, blah, blah, blah.

In my mind it is disgraceful and not at all empowering.  It's kind of like the ultimate irony of the name of Kim Gravel's new beauty line - Love Who You Are.  Love Who You Are should actually not sell ANY makeup or beauty products!

(By the way, I absolutely love Kim Gravel.  That's just an extremely unfortunate name for a make up line.) 

Excuse my rant.  It's been a really bad couple of days and listening to Shawn tear that woman (in the before photo) apart just really annoyed me.  Fine lines is one thing but reptilian?

JW

Honored Contributor

Re: QVC -Tears us down in the guise of building us up?

@JohnnyWasnt.  You're taking the nonsense and exaggerations they dish out during skin care shows way too seriously.  Recognizing that their claims are facetious, I don't even watch them.  I think most people recognize that most of what is said must be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Relax, it's gone at midnight.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt 

Empowerment comes from within.

Honored Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt 

That's unfortunate. They are also using the power of suggestion.  Just don't watch it.  So many here complain bitterly about the on-air presentations and hosts. I don't understand why they continue to watch.

Super Contributor

Honestly, I think Dr .Denise, possibly had some work done ...JMO..

I never listen to them ,all about sales

Btw , I'm not bashing Dr.D
Regular Contributor

I think by using the worst possible scenario it makes the results 

that more miraculous. By using words that visualize dry, crepey 

etc... the groundwork is set

Respected Contributor

@JohnnyWasnt I watched that presentation last night and felt the same way!  I get that Shawn wanted to describe the skin in the before photos, but she wasn't very tactful in comparing a woman's undereyes to reptilian crepey skin and then listing a ton of "issues" on another lady's face.   I hope that the women in the Before photos weren't watching this on QVC Smiley Surprised.   I change the channel whenever QVC presents skincare or anti aging products- they're too intense sometimes and its a lot of fear mongering about aging and hyper fixating on any perceived imperfections in order to sell products.  

Respected Contributor

We are all going to age and there is nothing we can do

about it ....

Valued Contributor

I did not see the presentation as I no longer tune into QVC on Friday evenings/nights at all. The "Over 50 and Fabulous" show has me avoiding the channel like the absolute plague! But I don't think your post is a rant. I think it's the truth. QVC is to the point they will do or say most anything to make a sale...especially on Friday nights. Woman Frustrated  

Respected Contributor

Just a sales tactic!  And the "doctor" has had tons of help over the years that does NOT include her products!  Grain of salt!