Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC FINALLY DID IT-I'LL NEVER BUY PHILOSOPHY PRODUCTS AS OF TODAY.

I understand fully...they used to call me MS. QVC at work.  I would watch the videos and enjoyed the shows, especially Philosophy.  Not anymore.  Now I am over at Evinelive with Borghese or HSN with Korres or Trish McEvoy.  You have to mix it up in the programming and keep it fresh or face product overexposure and fatigue.  The other shopping channels are so much better with the EZ pay and free shipping and the deals usually last thru the "event" i.e. for 2-3 days, not one hour.  I just went over to the Macy's site today and got a new (not as is) $198 Dooney small Lexington tote for $118 and free shipping.  Nordstroms ships my Philosophy products for free and has exclusive configurations. Shoppers are not held captive anymore by a single outlet.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

It is true QVC prticipates in a selling style called "narrow branding".  This is associating yourself with a brand in hopes it will create hundreds of thousands of customers giving testimonials, and such on their brand.  Narrow branding shows a limited amount of products over and over.  They want to create a "club" around that brand.  Don't ask me how all this works, but it does.  But it has driven me away, and many others I know.  Think of all the "clubs" the narrow branding has created like Linea, Lock n lock, denim and company, pollack, ripka, temptations, philosophy, and Gilli to name a few. QVC creates a brand called Gilli.  They create a lifestyle around it. Then people get excited to see every Gilli show, and buy the newest product.  People like to associate themselves with a better known brand.  They just do..  They are shown over and over, eventually people break down and try it, then form ties and loyalty to that brand.

Anyway, just one explanation, QVC never personally told me this, LOL!  I just guessed/

They used to show hundreds and hundreds of unique, unusual things.  Every day new things, new brands, along with a few regular products.  Now it is like they show a few brands a day, just different things in that brand.

shoekitty, I appreciated your explanation. I never heard of the term, "narrow branding." (I took some marketing courses and worked for an agency years ago.) 

to OP: I've had your epiphany a long time ago, and I've known about QVC practically since its inception. I used to flip just to see what's on. I can't even say when I've watched an entire hour, or had it in the background, and most of the time, I don't even flip to it anymore. During holidays, it's a nightmare!

Regarding Philosophy...there are better things out there IMO. I still like FIL, but won't repurchase because of their cheap output. I could never sit and watch a Philosophy program!

Hope you're on to more edifying background!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

It is true QVC prticipates in a selling style called "narrow branding".  This is associating yourself with a brand in hopes it will create hundreds of thousands of customers giving testimonials, and such on their brand.  Narrow branding shows a limited amount of products over and over.  They want to create a "club" around that brand.  Don't ask me how all this works, but it does.  But it has driven me away, and many others I know.  Think of all the "clubs" the narrow branding has created like Linea, Lock n lock, denim and company, pollack, ripka, temptations, philosophy, and Gilli to name a few. QVC creates a brand called Gilli.  They create a lifestyle around it. Then people get excited to see every Gilli show, and buy the newest product.  People like to associate themselves with a better known brand.  They just do..  They are shown over and over, eventually people break down and try it, then form ties and loyalty to that brand.

Anyway, just one explanation, QVC never personally told me this, LOL!  I just guessed/

They used to show hundreds and hundreds of unique, unusual things.  Every day new things, new brands, along with a few regular products.  Now it is like they show a few brands a day, just different things in that brand.

These brands are unknown to the general population. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It goes without saying, having a TV tuned to a channel..  even as background noise is merely out of habit.  This habit can easily be broken.

I'd had my fill of all shopping channels about 3 years ago.  Now I don't tune-in to any of them for viewing or for background noise.  It gets on my nerves like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I look back and wonder how I could watch all the repetition and same old sales pitches.  This is not to slam those who enjoy it.  To each her own.   At one time it was certainly a form of entertainment for me- and also used as background noise as expressed by the OP.

I believe these entities are banking on reaching whole new audiences- hence the same old shtick regular viewers find tough to stomach.

If I'm interested in a particular product I'll look online and watch the video presentation- (IF it has one).

Sure, I miss some special pricing by doing this- yet TV shopping isn't palatable for me any longer.  It's irritating to listen to all the repetitive, grating sales spiel.  Even if it's a new product, I can't take most of the hosts' hard sell.

I do sign up for mails to check out the Today's Special/Today's Special Value/ Today's Top Value or whatever the respective TV shopping venue calls their big push for that day.

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

These brands are unknown to the general population. 

Shoekitty said

Some of the brands are not known to general population, but wihtin the QVC they form clubs and alliences. For instance promoted Gilli as a luxury brand.  They created a life style around it, they created a feeling of being an "insider".  Then QVC does promote certain brands that have a name before hitting QVC, like Philosophy, Perricone, Kardashian, Bobbi Brown, Issac M, Dyson, Kitchen Aid, Keuirig, and at one time Randolph Duke, Dana B, Rachel Zoe,Nesco, and an assortment of Sears products.

.  These are only examples. I don't totally agree with it all, I am just saying this is the type of branding QVC does.

In the last 10 years Qvc has moved more to creating their own brands, and promoting them.  Like Graver, Logo, D&Co, Temptations, etc.

JMHO

Respected Contributor

After reading all the usual "get a life, take a walk, change the channel, why post on it if you don't like it, etc." predictable responses, I can see what the OP means.

I have watched QVC since I stumbled on it about 10 years ago.  I tune completely out of "Christmas in July" and some of their repetetive brands - Dyson, Select Comfort, blenders, Bose, philosophy, IT Cosmetics, computers, other electronics, etc.

I can't say I understand their marketing concept anymore.  It has turned me off from a lot of it.  So, maybe it is supposed to catch newer viewers.  I watch so seldom now. 

If they really don't care much for other than newer viewers, they've got it right!!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I avoid watching QVC. never felt the need to tune in but i only watch the videos posted online when i see a product i like.  You do not need to give up pholosophy just give up the actual tv channel

Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry you couldn't read it. I read that from two other people. I'm surprised because I used the 2nd or 3rd font choices, and I thought it was a bit large when I typed it so I din't know it could be seen otherwise.  Thanks for brining it to my attention.

Trusted Contributor

DEAR TINKRBL44,

"We" , or at least I, know it is to "sell" and not entertain, but I keep it on in the background for  a few reasons AT TIMES.

If I am cleaning from room to room, I can't really follow a show or get invested in it, but I can catch a product on air at times that I might be interested in for myself or more likely for gift giving, as I purchase my Christmas gifts (and others) all throughout the year. I never know when something might "pop up" so it's a good time to have it on.

I never just sit and watch QVC like its a long TV show.  So keeping it on while doing other tasks keeps me informed of prices,etc. and product availability. I often use that information when I shop at B&M stores.

If I want to listen to music, as per your radio comment, I prefer my own extensive collection of music as there is never enough time to enjoy all that I have for it is quite large and selective.

Perhaps that will enlighten you to my specific remarks and maybe why others do the same.

Your comments weren't applicable to mine.

Have a nice day.

Esteemed Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I'm so sorry you couldn't read it. I read that from two other people. I'm surprised because I used the 2nd or 3rd font choices, and I thought it was a bit large when I typed it so I din't know it could be seen otherwise.  Thanks for brining it to my attention.

All of you people who can't read her OP:  you should be able to zoom into the page with your browser.

I really haven't watched QVC since Lisa R left. I used to watch her shows, the "Lisa Robertson Show."

That's the only show I watched habitually....