Honored Contributor

Re: Q: ? Gray Haired Ladies

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I started lightening my hair when I was about 50 and sharting to see stray white hairs.  I went a couple of shades lighter and the white hair looked like natural  blonde highlights in what was lightened to a champagne blonde.

I continued until I retired at 68 and thought I'd let it go natural ... light brown.  I have short hair, so It took from August 2011 to the following March or April to grow out.  

It looked horrible and the "natural" hair didn't go with the color of my clothes.

I'm back to champagne blonde (Feria #91) ... and expect to continue it to the day I die.

Think about your the colors in your wardrobe ...  

@ALRATIBA  I thought clothing color had more to do w/ skin tone than hair color. Since my hair went natural, I can wear all the same clothing colors as before w/ the exception of off white and beige, but those didn’t look so great on me before with my dark hair.

@Shanus

I think it may well work both ways. 

For me ... the color of my complexion appeared to change w/o a change in makeup foundation, and clothing colors that I wear as champagne blonde looked awful when I stopped doing my hair.  

I was very unhappy with it.  It wasn't my imagination ...  others (who had only known be as a blonde) noticed.

Whatever ... I tried, I saw, I switched back to blonde for the duration!

Regular Contributor

Well said!  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This has become a monthly topic that always seems to devolve into strident words and even insults.

How in the world does that happen? I think it happens when people on either side of the "gray" issue use absolutes in the comments.

So how about if we must announce our hair color preference, we do so only as it applies to us and without any implied jabs at others?

I'll go first. I have my roots done every five weeks and a glaze applied all over. I am satisfied with the color of my hair and currently have no plans to change it.

@suzyQ3  The thread was titled:

Re: Q:  ? Gray Haired Ladies

One would assume that it was going to be Grey Haired Ladies that were going to respond to the question and to the thread.  Why would you tell about how you choose to color your roots  every five weeks and use a glaze all over... and that you choose to not change that, on a thread that was not asking why you choose to color??  Why did you feel the need to comment about your love for coloring your hair at all??

It was not a thread meant for people who CHOOSE TO COLOR to read and FEEL OFFENDED or feel that they are insulted. 

You choose to comment and feel offended that many on this thread love going totally grey.   Start your own thread on coloring your hair and how much you love to color your roots.  I think that is the answer here....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This has become a monthly topic that always seems to devolve into strident words and even insults.

How in the world does that happen? I think it happens when people on either side of the "gray" issue use absolutes in the comments.

So how about if we must announce our hair color preference, we do so only as it applies to us and without any implied jabs at others?

I'll go first. I have my roots done every five weeks and a glaze applied all over. I am satisfied with the color of my hair and currently have no plans to change it.

One would assume that it was going to be Grey Haired Ladies that were going to respond to the question and to the thread.  Why would you tell about how you choose to color your roots  every five weeks and use a glaze all over... and that you choose to not change that, on a thread that was not asking why you choose to color??  Why did you feel the need to comment about your love for coloring your hair at all??

It was not a thread meant for people who CHOOSE TO COLOR to read and FEEL OFFENDED or feel that they are insulted. 

You choose to comment and feel offended that many on this thread love going totally grey.   Start your own thread on coloring your hair and how much you love to color your roots.  I think that is the answer here....

@SeaMaiden  Yep. Always happens.

Super Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I stopped dying my hair a year ago and I’m now completely white/grey. I think I look the same only with a different color hair.  For me the pluses outweigh the minuses of having grey hair. I don’t have to mess with dyeing my hair, don’t have to worry about roots showing, don’t have to worry about fading in the summer. I feel so free and just couldn’t go back to dyeing my hair. 

Dye free for a year - still a process as I have long hair - yes it is an adjustment - but what freedom and power ladies.  I am enjoying my new color and making adjustments with makeup and colors.    Make the most of what you have and you may be surprised.    I think I am beautiful - don't let the media and society take away your power - we are too old and and smart for that - lol

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Yep. Always happens.

@Shanus& @SeaMaiden, I was planning on ignoring the post. Best laid plans.

I feel no compunction whatsoever to justify my posting on this thread.

My comment was one of unity, not division. What else someone reads into it, for whatever their reason may be, is not something I can control.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Ladies,

I made an AMAZING discovery!

Remember (or not), I mentioned I've been "light/medium brown" for 20 years.  My "real" hair color is dark brown, but the lighter shade always suited me better.  Now, that I"ve read all the messages, it's pretty clear why the gray drains the color out of my face.  It's my complexion!   Yes, skin tone and hair color have a lot to do with eachother.

So, what was my "discovery" ....?

The other day, I had my hair in a ponytail.  I took my hand mirror to see how the back looked and made a discovery - -I now have streaks!

My "real" dark brown has grown out so much, it looks like my hair is streaked and it blends in nicely with the medium brown.

So ..... I'm just going to dye the crown only medim brown and I'll have streaked hair .. or, er "highlights"!   LOL!

Thought I'd mention this ...

For those who don't want to bother dying all your hair, this might be an option for you.

Woman Wink

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Whatever we want to do - color or not - who cares. Why can't we just leave those in the opposite camp alone to their decision without the disparaging remarks?Everything that can be said has been said hundreds of times on this board.Let's agree to disagree and leave it alone.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Ladies,

I made an AMAZING discovery!

Remember (or not), I mentioned I've been "light/medium brown" for 20 years.  My "real" hair color is dark brown, but the lighter shade always suited me better.  Now, that I"ve read all the messages, it's pretty clear why the gray drains the color out of my face.  It's my complexion!   Yes, skin tone and hair color have a lot to do with eachother.

So, what was my "discovery" ....?

The other day, I had my hair in a ponytail.  I took my hand mirror to see how the back looked and made a discovery - -I now have streaks!

My "real" dark brown has grown out so much, it looks like my hair is streaked and it blends in nicely with the medium brown.

So ..... I'm just going to dye the crown only medim brown and I'll have streaked hair .. or, er "highlights"!   LOL!

Thought I'd mention this ...

For those who don't want to bother dying all your hair, this might be an option for you.

Woman Wink

@RinaRina, I can't say with all honesty that I totally understand what's up with your hair, but I'm glad that you have found a solution that you like, at least for now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I have a friend who started lettingl her hair get gray several years ago - she is now 70.  Her gray is awful on her... It's that dull silver color and she won't do anything but let it grow and wear a ponytail.  When she was in a rehab after some surgery she had recently  I went to spend time with her on Saturdays. Everyone thought she was my mother - she had a fit and I laughed. My thoughts are that you wear your hair every day - clothes come and go... So do the best you can with your hair beause you wear it everyday no matter what....