Honored Contributor

Stopped coloring six years ago and loved the entire experience. Fast forward to present day. Not that it matters receive compliments from both men and women. Pixie style helped cut out color. Then once in grew out chin length. Right now updated style longer. Do what makes you feel your best. Key! Especially grey, Healthy condition.Heart

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I started lightening my hair when I was about 50 and sharting to see stray white hairs.  I went a couple of shades lighter and the white hair looked like natural  blonde highlights in what was lightened to a champagne blonde.

I continued until I retired at 68 and thought I'd let it go natural ... light brown.  I have short hair, so It took from August 2011 to the following March or April to grow out.  

It looked horrible and the "natural" hair didn't go with the color of my clothes.

I'm back to champagne blonde (Feria #91) ... and expect to continue it to the day I die.

Think about your the colors in your wardrobe ...  

@ALRATIBA, I'm confused. When you say you went "natural," it was light brown? Why would your natural color look horrible? Or did you go gray and not like it, as the OP has questioned?

@suzyQ3 

I went "natural" .... which was at that point light brown with a lot of white.  I started going white at 50 and by 68 it was all white on front top and light brown with white streaks everywhere else. Looked awful.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina  You need to use a blue Malva shampoo to take out any yellow tones  I use Shikai and Aveda's.   I love my gray hair.  It's actually salt & pepper with the pepper on the bottom.  All the gals at the beauty salon love it.  You need to decide what you want to do.  I do not miss coloring my hair.  My hair is very healthy and shiny.  If you decide to go back to coloring at least use a NON ammonia hair color.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I stopped dying my hair a year ago and I’m now completely white/grey. I think I look the same only with a different color hair.  For me the pluses outweigh the minuses of having grey hair. I don’t have to mess with dyeing my hair, don’t have to worry about roots showing, don’t have to worry about fading in the summer. I feel so free and just couldn’t go back to dyeing my hair. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Q: ? Gray Haired Ladies

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Stopped coloring six years ago and loved the entire experience. Fast forward to present day. Not that it matters receive compliments from both men and women. Pixie style helped cut out color. Then once in grew out chin length. Right now updated style longer. Do what makes you feel your best. Key! Especially grey, Healthy condition.Heart

@Sweet_Serenity  Hello! I quit coloring like you about  4  1/2  years ago when I retired from working....had long hair that I colored myself for years. No one ever suspected that my hair was really silver white!  But I knew!

When I decided I was done with the mess and expense and toxicity of coloring, I had my hair chopped off short like you, and grew it out over a few months and a couple last hair cuts.

The last three years I have been growing it out long.  It is well past my shoulders.  I only wash once a week....pretty much never use a blow dryer or heat appliances on it.  Maybes   the  Calista perfecter occasionally.  I  let  it dry naturally...  It is healthy and natural now....no longer colored and damaged like before.

i would never return to coloring EVER!  Love my silver locks!👍🙂

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on the color of grey you get. My Mother has silver and it is gorgeous but mine is uigly grey so it is not attractive. I keep mine colored pecan brown with blonde highlights. Grey like all colors has many different shades.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My gray is scattered and doesn’t look good to me.  I would not mind being all silver or all white but it is not going to happen.  I did not color my hair for about six months and still had more dark brown than gray.

Honored Contributor

This has become a monthly topic that always seems to devolve into strident words and even insults.

How in the world does that happen? I think it happens when people on either side of the "gray" issue use absolutes in the comments.

So how about if we must announce our hair color preference, we do so only as it applies to us and without any implied jabs at others?

I'll go first. I have my roots done every five weeks and a glaze applied all over. I am satisfied with the color of my hair and currently have no plans to change it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitlynn wrote:

I think it depends on the color of grey you get.

That is so true!  I also believe genes come into play too.

My mother's grey is an ugly dingy steel grey. She wears a silver wig when she goes out.

Her 2 sisters had beautiful white hair.

My father did not start greying till in his late 80s.  When he died at age 90 his hair was a beautiful salt & pepper shade.

My 64 yr old baby brother has not started greying yet.

At age 67 white unruly horns started appearing in my  dark brown hair on the left & right top of forehead.  I called myself Mz Lucifer Morningstar. Smiley LOL

By this summer at the age of 68 I'll have 2 unruly white stripes going down my back. By then I may need to change my screen name to either zebra, white lightening or silverback. Smiley LOL

If my horns were my mother's ugly dingy steel grey shade, I would go back to my "crew cut" shaved hair cut in a hot millisecond.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I have been experimenting with my hair since  my mid teens.  Every Color in the Book and then Some.  I was known for my color changes.  Finally my hair would not color.  No idea why (early 20's)  I finally gave in and went to a stylist who colored my hair but gave no  reason why my hair was color resistant.  One day I had bad vertigo which still plagues me at times.  I could not 'GO BACK IN A SINK.'  I let my hair go and then I discovered I was silver white.   I have been this color for two decades or more... I do nothing but wash, and go.  It is my best feature and I get strangers stopping me everywhere.   So I would never touch my hair with any color or  even product but a bit of hairspray.  This might not be typical of everyone but my hair color does not determine my age... I do. And I am very happy NOT having to bother making color changes.