Respected Contributor

Re: Q: ? Gray Haired Ladies

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

I had to wait until it did look good.

My new gray hair was not pretty, it looked harsh against my brunette hair and it was so unruly.

But now it's prettier and manageable.  I still have a lot of brunette hair, I'm about half and half and it looks like I get grey highlights.  Plus I use WEN, I think it helped.

Did you stop dying your hair and then change your mind because the gray didn't look as attractive as you thought it would?

That's exactly what has happened.  My hair has been "golden" brown for 20 years.  Now, it's gray (dark brown mixed w/ white) and it is so dull & ugly.  Or to use your word, it looks "harsh".  

I'm really going to hate going back to dying it, but it's starting to look awful since I've got 5" of white mixed with dark brown at the root, and then the rest is "golden".  Waist-length = looks really bad.  Woman Sad

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Exactly! Said that if I didn't like my grey hair would go back to coloring. Do what makes you feel your best. No shame coloring or not coloring. 

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina So I am thinking it would take years for waist length hair to all grow in all  your natural color (sounds like its salt & pepper color). You may want to try having it colored all one color again or you may go the way Shanus did and have all the dye removed so you are all one color again. If you had it dyed all one color in a light blonde then as the grey grows in it would not look so harsh. I would talk to a colorist. Clearly, this is going to be a long process for you. Perhaps you could cut it off to shoulder blade length?

Honored Contributor

I was in my 50s when I stopped coloring my hair. I am almost solid gray and tried going that route but I was told look too old. My hair lady told me to touch up roots every 4 weeks. Everything blends now and if I go 5-6 wks w/o a touch up you see the gray. Do not foil your hair if you have solid roots. Touch ups cost me $35 each time. I'm pleased.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Q: ? Gray Haired Ladies

[ Edited ]

Hi,   my natural color is a great mix of shades of blond, brown and light red. I started going white, mostly on one side- it went straight to white like my dad and grandma, gorgeous white.   

I went to a great colorist, (close friend) we went through my options , decided to have white mixed in on the other side which is the mostly natural hair color. Afterward I was mostly white. It looked great on me when she blew it out.  

99% of the time I wear it natural which are loose ringlets. Wearing it natural made my already light skin look too light.  I don't wear foundation, have naturally flush cheeks, but wearing it in it's natural state, my now mostly white hair color made me look very, very pale. It looked great if I put on foundation, but I rarely do that.

So I decided I wasn't quite ready for mostly white hair. I put color back into my hair 

I don't have time to get my roots done every 3 weeks, nor do I really like keeping up my roots myself, so I'm sure at some point I'll decide to go totally go white, at least I know it's a pretty white, and I'll use a tinted moisturizer if I feel the need.

So, after reading this novel- sorry for the length-  your skin color will be the determining factor if you like gray or white on yourself. White, gray  do have undertones,  that play together or against skin color.  I could have added a little rinse to my white hair to give my face a slight hue, but I didn't think of it, plus it would change the white hue which I loved.

I love the freedom of not worrying about roots, it really was a great feeling, and my hair stayed very soft. Maybe I needed to live with it longer than a month. I have no problem of trying it again.

It doesn't hurt to see what you look like with it, live with for a little while because change is a little shocking at first.  if you don't think it's quite you yet- it's easy to change.

Good LuckCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

Do any of you ladies ever think that , of course, the colorists is going to tell you to keep coloring your hair. She doesn't want to lose a paying customer.

Respected Contributor

My natural hair color was DARK brown, almost black. I changed to red, in my mid 40's. I stopped coloring around late 50's. It has definitely aged me & I miss my sassy red, but overall I am happy with my silver/white hair. Ever so often, I dream I colored it again & very upset, after I worked so hard to get the color off, lol. It became such a chore to keep my roots hidden, as I colored it myself. I say, do whatever makes you happy!!

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Did you stop dying your hair and then change your mind because the gray didn't look as attractive as you thought it would?

I'm at that point. 

Frankly, some women just don't look good with gray hair and I'm beginning to think I'm one of them.

I've seen women my age with full gray and it looks fabulous.  The mistake I made was assuming the color would look good on me as well.

@RinaRina. Shanus here to answer your question up close & personal. In March/April, I stopped using haircolor....as a child my hair was almost black, dyed it dark brown every 3 weeks for over 40 yrs. & couldn’t take the scheduling my life around the appts. BTW, my hair turned all white/grey by 25 or 30, so after week 1, the sparkly roots already shined through at roots and hair line.

Do I regret my decision, rarely. I tried on a wig in the white/grey color of my roots before I made my decision so I knew how I’d look. Studied my face in the store’s mirror to see what makeup would need adjusting, etc.

When are the few times I think about my dark hair? Since I’m so fair w/ green eyes and had very dark hair, my coloring was somewhat unusual & people sometimes made a comment about that. Big deal. Now I get comments like “Oh God I wish I could let my grey grow out...I can’t stand coloring anymore” or “You look so young to have white hair. Did you bleach it or yours?” or “You look so much softer without the grey hair”.

No, I wouldn’t go back to dark brown. It’s been about 8 mos. & a few times I still walk passed a store mirror & take a double look expecting a brunette....Give it time. It’s a BIG change. Adjust your makeup. Brighter lipstick. Ask your stylist for a different cut that’ll make you feel young & snappy. 

Friends of mine who who did go grey & were unhappy & felt they looked old, didn’t adjust their style, colors to accommodate the new hair color. That’s a must.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I'm at that point. 

Frankly, some women just don't look good with gray hair and I'm beginning to think I'm one of them.

I've seen women my age with full gray and it looks fabulous.  The mistake I made was assuming the color would look good on me as well.

@RinaRina. Shanus here to answer your question up close & personal. In March/April, I stopped using haircolor....as a child my hair was almost black, dyed it dark brown every 3 weeks for over 40 yrs. & couldn’t take the scheduling my life around the appts. BTW, my hair turned all white/grey by 25 or 30, so after week 1, the sparkly roots already shined through at roots and hair line.

Do I regret my decision, rarely. I tried on a wig in the white/grey color of my roots before I made my decision so I knew how I’d look. Studied my face in the store’s mirror to see what makeup would need adjusting, etc.

When are the few times I think about my dark hair? Since I’m so fair w/ green eyes and had very dark hair, my coloring was somewhat unusual & people sometimes made a comment about that. Big deal. Now I get comments like “Oh God I wish I could let my grey grow out...I can’t stand coloring anymore” or “You look so young to have white hair. Did you bleach it or yours?” or “You look so much softer without the grey hair”.

No, I wouldn’t go back to dark brown. It’s been about 8 mos. & a few times I still walk passed a store mirror & take a double look expecting a brunette....Give it time. It’s a BIG change. Adjust your makeup. Brighter lipstick. Ask your stylist for a different cut that’ll make you feel young & snappy. 

Friends of mine who who did go grey & were unhappy & felt they looked old, didn’t adjust their style, colors to accommodate the new hair color. That’s a must.

Correction: look softer without the DARK HAIR !

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Stopped coloring six years ago and loved the entire experience. Fast forward to present day. Not that it matters receive compliments from both men and women. Pixie style helped cut out color. Then once in grew out chin length. Right now updated style longer. Do what makes you feel your best. Key! Especially grey, Healthy condition.Heart

@Sweet_Serenity.....and purple shampoo to keep yellow away and make it bright and sparkly.