Esteemed Contributor

Re: Q For Those of You With Long Hair

Thank you, everyone, for all of the replies and suggestions.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I use Vidal Sassoon in the red bottle for colored hair.

Frequent Contributor

I use Wen and don't have any issues with tangles. I also use it on my girls, 7 and 3, and no longer have any issues with tangles.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have long, super wavy, thick hair and always condition in the shower while washing my body.  Then comb out with pick.  I comb down until I hit a knot, stop and go to the next section of hair.  By the time I return to that first section, I can comb down further without pulling.  I then put my hair in a turbie, wait awhile and apply NOT YOUR MOTHER'S, Knotty To Nice Conditioning Detangler.  I get it at Ulta and it is only $6.99 for 6 oz.  Love it!  Actually use a lot from this line for my hair.  Their sea salt spray is fantastic.

Respected Contributor

my hair is almost down to my waist, long and fine. All I use is either Dove or Pantene BUT I never comb my hair when wet. I was a hairdresser and this was drummed into me back then, long time ago.

I let my hair dry than use a very wide toothed comb and go very gently starting at the bottom of the strands instead of at the top and pulling down. Work your way up. Comb out the bottom than each time go up a little farther till you are all combed out. Works like a charm and very little hair comes out doing it like this, won't lose as much hair.

Your hair is at it's weakest when wet.

Esteemed Contributor

Rotate around the "conditioners" that are out there.  Since I have finer, straighter hair mostly it is how "heavy" they are that matters to me.  The most useful thing to do is run the fingers thru when it is in and then rinse under the shower rather than upside down in a sink.  Sort of pre-combs it.

Esteemed Contributor

@doglover3 wrote:

my hair is almost down to my waist, long and fine. All I use is either Dove or Pantene BUT I never comb my hair when wet. I was a hairdresser and this was drummed into me back then, long time ago.

I let my hair dry than use a very wide toothed comb and go very gently starting at the bottom of the strands instead of at the top and pulling down. Work your way up. Comb out the bottom than each time go up a little farther till you are all combed out. Works like a charm and very little hair comes out doing it like this, won't lose as much hair.

Your hair is at it's weakest when wet.

This is interesting. I air dry my hair anyway, so I will try this the next time I shampoo. I always do start at the bottom and work my way up, but have always done it while my hair was wet. I have really curly hair, but I'm going to give your tip a try. Thank you.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

If your hair is tangled wet or dry , Start combing from the BOTTOM up one inch at a time [or two] and the tangles will be removed easily , Do not start at the top and try to comb down ,

cathy from ma 

Valued Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

What is the best detangler that you have found? My hair is past shoulder length and I have let portions of it go grey. I never used to have much trouble combing out my wet hair; however, the grey really, really tangles and it's a nuisance. I use Infusium 23, carol's daughter hair milk mixed with a serum. Still a struggle. TIA

I think if you started using a serum after you get out of the shower that might do the trick. Nick Chavez has a really nice serum in his mesquite line. I think you can still get the super size right now. It makes my hair super soft and shiney.