Respected Contributor

Re: Q For Those of You With Long Hair

As an alternative to "product" I use a hair brush called Wet Brush. Target or Amazon carry it. I love it. I have fine, long hair and it brushes very nicely with a lot less pulling.
Regular Contributor

Thick hair past my shoulders....have not needed a detangler since wen....

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Wen!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You needn't spend a fortune. My best friend has totally thick gray hair that tangles. She used her granddaughters No More Tangles spray, Voila! No More Tangles....her hair looks fabulous!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Get yourself a Wet Brush.  You can buy them locally or on Amazon.  They are great at brushing out wet hair without pulling it out.

Respected Contributor

Hello, twopeas. Smiley Happy

I'll mention one product and tips more than anything when it comes to dealing with difficult hair.

1. Try Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Serum. It's not a detangler, but it does make my hair softer and more manageable.

2. I've found that hair that's really, really wet or really, really dry doesn't like to be brushed. At least that's how my hair acts. If the hair's too wet or too dry, it rips out easier. So try damp hair. Not dripping wet, but not super dry.

3. Try not to brush your hair at the root and work your way down. That usually pulls more hair out. Instead, try brushing at the ends of your hair first and then gently work your way up.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

Mane n' Tail Detangler from Sally's and a wide-tooth detangler comb.

Honored Contributor

Once my hair is soaking wet when I first start showering, I put conditioner on first from my about my ears on down the length.

Then I put shampoo on the rest of my head and work that in really good.

So technically I don't put shampoo on the length except what goes on it as I rinse it off.

And I only put a speck more conditioner on my scalp and work that in and then rinse really well.

I have longer, fine hair, but lots of it.

I can get away with conditioner only, too.

I can even shampoo it and use no conditioner.  But then I don't comb it out as it would be a hot mess.  Somehow, it untangles itself as it dries.  Very wavy, but a look that I like, too.

Esteemed Contributor

A boatload of conditioner when washing your long hair is a must...enough so that you can run your fingers through your hair. Then rinse that out. After your shower, towel dry your hair to get the excess water out. Wrap your hair in a big towel for a bit to absorb excess water. Use a wide tooth comb to detangle. Smooth your hair and twist it in the back and use a Goody ouchless clip to hold it in place. You can leave the clip in place while you get dressed and apply makeup or even run errands. When your hair is damp, use a hair dryer to dry your hair. You can use whatever smoothing serum or spray you like when you're done.

Valued Contributor

Miracle 7 Leave-In Mist from Sally Beauty Supply.