Esteemed Contributor

Q For Those of You With Long Hair

What is the best detangler that you have found? My hair is past shoulder length and I have let portions of it go grey. I never used to have much trouble combing out my wet hair; however, the grey really, really tangles and it's a nuisance. I use Infusium 23, carol's daughter hair milk mixed with a serum. Still a struggle. TIA

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: Q For Those of You With Long Hair

@pattypeep wrote:

What is the best detangler that you have found? My hair is past shoulder length and I have let portions of it go grey. I never used to have much trouble combing out my wet hair; however, the grey really, really tangles and it's a nuisance. I use Infusium 23, carol's daughter hair milk mixed with a serum. Still a struggle. TIA

I have always had hair that tangles easily. It is not due to damage as I have none, but just because it is fine in texture but I have alot of it. It has been that way since I was really little. Fortunately, since using the summer honey peach WEN this has greatly been reduced (a mmiracle!!!) but when I need extra help especially on windy days,  I like No. 4 Super Comb leave in Prep and Protect an, although normally I do NOT like Living proof products at all (most of them smell awful and don't really work for me), their pHD 5-in-1 product is great for detangling.

I look forward to reading others suggestions.

Respected Contributor

The best one I have found for detangling hair is Unite 7 second leave in conditioner. I buy it on amazon and it is pricey but a little goes a long way. It has a scent though but it doesn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

I don't like to go too crazy with the product.

I have waist length very curly hair. I use Wen Fig and after washing I use the styling cream (wet). I also use a serum (theorie) or oil (Wen) occassionally through the week (on dry hair).

I carefully COMB, never a brush, my hair with a wide tooth comb. I also like the Matrix Biolage defining gel for curly hair.

Honored Contributor

try the Wet Brush, http://www.thewetbrush.com/

@pattypeep wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

I always put conditioner in then comb through my hair then rinse

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

I have always had hair that tangles easily. It is not due to damage as I have none, but just because it is fine in texture but I have alot of it. It has been that way since I was really little. Fortunately, since using the summer honey peach WEN this has greatly been reduced (a mmiracle!!!) but when I need extra help especially on windy days,  I like No. 4 Super Comb leave in Prep and Protect an, although normally I do NOT like Living proof products at all (most of them smell awful and don't really work for me), their pHD 5-in-1 product is great for detangling.

I look forward to reading others suggestions.

@HappyDaze***********My hair too is fine but thick.  I keep a body wave to hold up the layered curl and I have highlights.  I too use Wen as a conditioner, then after rinsing and wrapping my hair up in a towel to get out the excess water, I use half a pump from the scalp to the ends in the top to half way down the back of my head; and a half pump for the rest from scalp to the ends after my regular shampoo.

I never have any damage even though I'm double processed!

Honored Contributor

I use WEN, but even before I used WEN, I always used regular conditioner as my leave-in and detangler and have never bought a special product just for that. Before WEN, I use Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Conditioning Balm as my conditioner and leave-in. Before WEN, I washed my hair with Suave Coconut conditioner, but that wasn't moisturizing enough to use as my conditioner or leave-in, so I washed with the Suave, conditioned with the Biolage, then used anywhere from a pea to a dime sized amount (depending on hair length) of the Biolage as my leave-in, added to soaking wet hair.

Super Contributor

I just recently switch from the Wen styling creams to a new products, Kinky-Curly Knot Today. It's $11.99 at Target and the BEST detangler I have ever tried on my hair and my daughters. And we have two completely different types of hair. I have long staight fine hair and she has short curly thick hair. Apply it to soaking wet hair at the end of your shower and you be able to feel the slip that it leave but it don't leave your hair feeling heavy or greasy. You'll love it. Best $12 I ever spend at Target. I just bought another bottle today since it's 20% off with the Cartwheel app.

Trusted Contributor

@KMBSAB - If you like Knot Today, try the Curling Custard! I've decided it's my favorite to keep my curls in-check.

Next time I go to Target I'm going to get the Knot Today.

Super Contributor

I'll have to try it on my daughters hair! I almost bought it today too! Next trip I'll get it.