Honored Contributor

Re: Purple Rain Eyeshadow Stick

Worth noting/watching...set your DVR's!!!

Saturday Night Live’ Is Planning a Special Tribute to Prince

And now, for a very special musical guest. Saturday Night Live will pay tribute to Prince on Saturday, April 23, with a retrospective look at the late music icon’s most memorable performances on the late-night show.

The special, titled “SNL Goodnight Sweet Prince,” will showcase the “Purple Rain” singer’s most electrifying appearances on the sketch-comedy series, including his most recent role as musical guest in 2014, during which he performed an unprecedented medley/jam before the live studio audience.

Prince also previously performed on the show in 2006, 1989 and 1981. In 1989, he wowed viewers with “Electric Chair” from the Batman soundtrack as part of SNL’s 15th anniversary.

In addition to Prince’s four appearances on the show over the years, he has been impersonated even more frequently, most memorably by Fred Armisen, who played the “When Doves Cry” singer as the host for the “Prince Show” sketch.

Not that the artist dislikes comedy. In a 1999 VH1 interview with Chris Rock, in fact, Prince told the funnyman that he has been largely influenced by the work of comedians.

“Comedians had a great deal of an impact on my music, I think,” he said at the time. “It was always a challenge to have some sort of humor in a song and to make somebody feel good. That is the biggest challenge.”

“SNL Goodnight Sweet Prince” will air on Saturday, April 23, at 11:30 p.m. EST on NBC.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

And now, for a very special musical guest. Saturday Night Live will pay tribute to Prince on Saturday, April 23, with a retrospective look at the late music icon’s most memorable performances on the late-night show.

The special, titled “SNL Goodnight Sweet Prince,” will showcase the “Purple Rain” singer’s most electrifying appearances on the sketch-comedy series, including his most recent role as musical guest in 2014, during which he performed an unprecedented medley/jam before the live studio audience.

Prince also previously performed on the show in 2006, 1989 and 1981. In 1989, he wowed viewers with “Electric Chair” from the Batman soundtrack as part of SNL’s 15th anniversary.

In addition to Prince’s four appearances on the show over the years, he has been impersonated even more frequently, most memorably by Fred Armisen, who played the “When Doves Cry” singer as the host for the “Prince Show” sketch.

Not that the artist dislikes comedy. In a 1999 VH1 interview with Chris Rock, in fact, Prince told the funnyman that he has been largely influenced by the work of comedians.

“Comedians had a great deal of an impact on my music, I think,” he said at the time. “It was always a challenge to have some sort of humor in a song and to make somebody feel good. That is the biggest challenge.”

“SNL Goodnight Sweet Prince” will air on Saturday, April 23, at 11:30 p.m. EST on NBC.

@Chi-town girl, if you haven't seen the very famous YouTube video of Prince, among others, playing Harrison's "My Guitar Gently Weeps," it's a must-see. Prince come in at a little after the 3-minute mark. Take a look. BTW, the young man on the right is a dead-ringer for a young George Harrison -- and he's his son, Dhani.

He was so underrated as a guitarist. When Eric Clapton was asked how it feels to be the greatest guitar player in the world, he said, " I don't know, you'll have to ask Prince."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 - thanks for posting that song/video. I do remember seeing it but haven't watched it since that tribute show. Oh my, such amazing talent Heart It all just feels so surreal. Tears are blending with joy & awe...deeep breath! 

Def want to see 'slow hand' Clapton when he tours again. Thx again for sharing.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

"mind-blowing"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3MtnQwfg0

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for letting me know about the SNL special "Good Night Sweet Prince"--I'm setting my DVR.  Tears!!   Thank you again!  Incredible that Purple Rain was not a #1 single--He has SO MANY great hits, it's hard to keep count, but the guitar intro to that song is something that's simply breathtaking.   I remember as 8th graders, whenever the song was played at one of our group gatherings or slumber parties, the song had impact!!!

Super Contributor

PS. Besides his amazing talent, which is what got him to the legendary status that he had in the music industry, I just can't underestimate how he was an inspiration to me--his fashion sense, his stage presence, his perfect face.  He had it all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"The Boss" (Bruce Springsteen) opens his Brooklyn show with a cover of "Purple Rain'... 

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/prince-forever-bruce-springsteen-covers-purple-rain-watch/#

Contributor

@suzyQ3 Thank you so much for the link to the video for

My Guitar Gently Weeps featuring Prince. He truly was an underated guitarist and

this video gave me goosebumps.

You're right Dhani is a dead-ringer for his father. If I only saw him on the video, I would have thought that it was a video of his father from the 60's.

Thanks again!

Castle

Honored Contributor

That Bruuuuuuuce tribute was awesome.  It's heartwarming to see the musical tributes.

No words needed...exceptional!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/david-gilmour-prince-comfortably-numb-purple-rain_us_571eb607e4b...

Honored Contributor

How about some clever humor...this cracks me up Woman LOL

13082768_10207647006950996_3927005845252435970_n.jpeg