Honored Contributor

Re: Purging the linen closet

My question is--why take those tiny toiletries home? My hubs worked in Oregon for a few months and  ALWAYS brought home a ton of those things, until I told him to stop!! Have just a few left now,mostly shampoo and tiny soaps but those will be gone soon. 

Trusted Contributor

Hubs used to travel for work quite a bit.  We had quite a collection in our linen closet of hotel goodies.  Fortunately for us, a boy scout down the street made it a project to collect the various soaps as well as the toothbrushes given out by the dentists that are individually wrapped as a project for a badge [helping the homeless].  He asked us to put everything in grocery store plastic bags and hang them on our ftont door one evening.  It was great!  And what a creative a great idea he came up with.

Honored Contributor

I usually only take them when the hotel has the higher end products.

Esteemed Contributor

I won't take anything from a hotel stay anymore.  I have too much to get rid of.  It has been at least a year and I am still working on things in my bath.  For some reason, conditioner is taking me a really long time to use up.  Same with body lotion and body shower gels.  

Valued Contributor

My stash isn’t from hotels, it’s “stocking up” on things I like when they’re well priced. I also have more than I can use in a reasonable amount of time, will donate some to the local women’s shelter, maybe eBay some of the others.
I also vowed to buy sets of new towels too, I recognized one hand towel from 1999! I’m turning into my mother...
Respected Contributor

@Nutzy wrote:

If you want to get rid of all those little hotel soap and shampoos, a homeless shelter would love to have them. Some food pantries take them to distribute also.

great idea!

Honored Contributor

I never use hotel samples. Since my skin is sensitive I prefer to bring my products from home that I know won’t irritate my skin. Due to asthma, I also do not like most scents used in those products. I never bring hotel samples home either, but my sister does. She uses them at home so she doesn’t need to buy as much of that stuff. 

My linen closet is fairly organized. I have one shelf of extra bath, body, toiletries, beauty, and skin care products. The other shelves are towels, cleaning products, and candles. Sometimes I see a product I love on sale or on BOGO. Even though I have an extra already on the shelf I buy anyway so the shelf can get pretty full at times. I never  want to run out of my favorite products.