Honored Contributor

Re: Purchased a new hair appliance to tame and straighten hair - question??

@monicakm 

I definitely don't want anything that sizzles and smokes!  Scary! 

No, the thing I bought is pink and has a plastic casing.  It is called EZBasics Hair Straightener Brush.  It looks more like a comb than a brush to me.  You can probably look it up if you want to see it.  I am sorry - I just don't know how to insert pictures or I would put a picture of it for you to see!  It claims it is less damaging than most other straightening appliances.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I am going to try this one out a couple more times and I have ordered another appliance similar to the one several of you are talking about.  I will then make up my mind. 

Thank you for your comments and conversation!

Honored Contributor

@software 

I know everything is CYA!  It just gives you hesitancy for sure!  Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@cactusgal 

I just ordered something similar to this, but I don't know --- it looks big and heavy and my arms get so tired doing that kind of stuff.  We will see how it goes.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I had been looking for a light-weight tool to help tame and straighten my hair a bit and control the frizz -- something which did not involve a lot of work, was not really expensive and could just go over my hair and not really take a lot of time.

Well, I found this kind of like an electric comb online and you use it on dry hair.  It is slim and pretty light weight and not really expensive.  So, I ordered it and was reading the enclosed info - which is so small I can hardly read it! 

Any how -- to make a long story a bit shorter -- it says --- do not use any styling products when using the tool as it could cause a fire!  HUH????

Is this normal for most styling tools, i.e., flat irons, curling irons, brushes, etc.???

I haven't used any styling tools in eons, but I seem to remember that I did use some sort of styling product before I used the tool.

Just wondering....  So, if I decided to use a spray on heat protectant product before using this tool --- is my hair going to go up in flames or something???? Yikes!

I tried the tool out once (no styling products) and it seemd to do o.k. but thinking, will this dry my hair out without any heat protectant?  

Thanks for your replies!! 

@AngelPuppy1   Certainly a heat protectant is necessary any time you're using a blow dryer or any heated tool on your hair. If anything is mentioned about "causing a fire", I'd never use it and return it ASAP. Why take the chance?

@Shanus 

I decided to give this a couple more tries.  I have ordered another appliance which is similar to the one others here are posting about.  It dries and styles, but it looks heavy and cumbersome and I'm not really liking that type of heavy styling thing!  I will try both out more and then decide.  Thanks!  (P.S. -- I am NOT using styling products when I use the first one --- no taking a chance!)

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I know eons ago which I used flat irons, etc., I used products and no problem, but as I said previously I haven't used any of these things in years so don't know!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1    There are products to protect you from the heat of a electric tool.  However, you don't have to buy the most expensive but you should be concerned that the tool will not fry your hair.  There is technology today that lessens any damage to your hair.  Cheap is not always good.

@Katcat1 

Yes, - true.  I usually go more middle of the road.  

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl 

I am inexperienced with any and all styling tools so I am very apprehensive and nervous!  I used a flat iron and curling iron many years and I suppose I used product but I cannot recall.  I would not want to hear any sort of frying noises --- unless I am cooking --- LOL! 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

That's a good thing!  I just am nervous about this since I read that product info.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Another thought.  Be sure you get something with temperature control. My hair is fairly fragile so I use a lower heat than most. I also use Matrix Total Results to protect my hair from the heat - just a tiny drop as too much is heavy on my hair.