Esteemed Contributor

Re: Purchased a new hair appliance to tame and straighten hair - question??

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@shaggygirl 

I am inexperienced with any and all styling tools so I am very apprehensive and nervous!  I used a flat iron and curling iron many years and I suppose I used product but I cannot recall.  I would not want to hear any sort of frying noises --- unless I am cooking --- LOL! 

@AngelPuppy1 

Well maybe my hair sizzled because my flat iron is a Chi and it's pretty darn old and has no heat control perhaps that's what caused the sizzle.

The heated Calista brush bit the dust a few months back and I don't recall if it had a heat control. Maybe not or if it did perhaps I tried on heat too high. I still have my Chi and use it on dry hair and also a new Revlon heated brush w/heat control but haven't been daring enough to try using it on hair dampened by neither my Tresemme nor my Kenra heat protectorants. 

Indeed a sizzle in a frying pan is a good thing, but not in your hair.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Another thought.  Be sure you get something with temperature control. My hair is fairly fragile so I use a lower heat than most. I also use Matrix Total Results to protect my hair from the heat - just a tiny drop as too much is heavy on my hair.

@CalminHeart   My hair is very light grey and too high a heat setting on styling tools , even w/ a protectant, can turn it yellow...Of course, back to a purple shampoo for a few times to remove it, but now I keep the temp quite low. I also make sure my hair is partially dry if I use my Revlon brush that dries and styles. I don't want the heat on there too long. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Another thought.  Be sure you get something with temperature control. My hair is fairly fragile so I use a lower heat than most. I also use Matrix Total Results to protect my hair from the heat - just a tiny drop as too much is heavy on my hair.

@CalminHeart 

Yes, very true.  Both these things have different settings.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@gillsburg wrote:

Could I have the name of the comb type appliance you bought. I have the other one pictured and love it but have gone shorter hair and it's just too big. 

@gillsburg 

I'm not sure if you were asking me or one of the other posters but if so -- the appliance I was speaking of, I referred to as a "comb", because it looks more like a comb to me, as it is very slim and light.  However, the name of it is - EZBasics Hair Straightener Brush.  If you put that in your search bar, it should come up (it is pink).  I don't know if I'm allowed to put in where I got it. (ama*on) ??? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin