Respected Contributor

The ABSOLUTE WORST are the creams in jars with the "push-down" to dispense!!

Skinn uses them all the time, and someof them dont work from the very beginning, and NONE work well through the life of the product.

They do not reach down far enough to start with they clog,and you end up taking off the lid and finding the product is all along the sides where it cannot be dispensed at all..

So, with long nails, you have to dig in, or use a spatula, andit is so inconvenient and messy!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Wanna hear something funny? Once a product (body wash, lotion, etc) gets near to the end, I feel disgusted with it and I can't wait to throw it away!  I don't want the last ounce of whatever it is.  I know, it's a weird mental disorder.  So I never find myself trying to squeeze the last drop out of anything.  

I do agree that the twisty turny things to start a pump can be difficult enough to make me wanna chuck it across the room.

@Grouchomarx @SilleeMee   There you go, that's how I feel!  It isn't worth fighting with even if it is expensive and by that time, I'm done with it!  It's old.  Out it goes!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Funny you mention this because I almost went all Freddy Krueger on a new bottle of Cetaphil face cleanser this morning.

I tried twisting/turning the pump to get it started, the way I thought it should but nothing happened.  I had to get my reading glasses to see the stupid arrow on the bottle and make sure I was twisting in the right direction.  Yep.  I spun that thing what seemed like 75 times and the pump didn't release.  Luckily I still had the used up bottle so I'll just dump the cleanser into that.    

Then I got into the shower and am nearing the end of my 32oz. Living Grace body wash.  Can't get it out using the pump anymore. So I had to take the lid off and dump the product onto my bath sponge.    

I still have enough strength in my hands to hack plastic bottles with dysfunctional pumps in half with a hefty pair of scissors.

The experience is good for both my dry skin and my temperament. My marriage has never been better, and I no longer kick the parakeet.

LOL! Geez, I gotta get me some of these scissors!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Wanna hear something funny? Once a product (body wash, lotion, etc) gets near to the end, I feel disgusted with it and I can't wait to throw it away!  I don't want the last ounce of whatever it is.  I know, it's a weird mental disorder.  So I never find myself trying to squeeze the last drop out of anything.  

I do agree that the twisty turny things to start a pump can be difficult enough to make me wanna chuck it across the room.

@Grouchomarx @SilleeMee   There you go, that's how I feel!  It isn't worth fighting with even if it is expensive and by that time, I'm done with it!  It's old.  Out it goes!  LOL!!

I'm not using old product since I go through the stuff at a pretty good pace. So I would like to use every last bit of it and if I didn't do that then it would add up to a considerable amount of lotion I'd be throwing away in no time at all. I hate wasting my money on things no matter what they are. To each their own. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I'm not using old product since I go through the stuff at a pretty good pace. So I would like to use every last bit of it and if I didn't do that then it would add up to a considerable amount of lotion I'd be throwing away in no time at all. I hate wasting my money on things no matter what they are. To each their own. 

I can't stand to waste things either...As long as doing so doesn't mean I sacrifice too much from other things I care about.

My grandmother was alive during the Depression and remembered it vividly. She taught me to see wasting family resources as being hurtful to everyone else in the family and the future. I've eased up on those beliefs over time, just because I'm surrounded by so much bounty and abundance. But I still feel somehow morally obligated to attempt to conserve and avoid wasting things.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The problem with most pumps is that the tube going down is not long enough to reach the product when it gets low. So what I do is add a piece of plastic tubing to the end of that pump tube so that it extends all the way down to the bottom of the bottle. The difficult part of this is finding a piece of tubing that will fit. I found some tubing at hardware store and bought a few different sizes.  This is no guarantee that it will get every last drop but it will get a lot more out of your bottle than if the extension wasn't there.

vinyl-tubing-lotion-750x434.jpg

I bought a bottle of Pantene Shampoo. Because the shampoo is clear you can see how far down the bottle the tube goes. It is easily 1/2 of an inch from the bottom of the bottle.

Makes you wonder if Proctor and Gamble does that on purpose. Because you know when they design the bottles it is to exact specifications.

Honored Contributor

Desperate times call for desperate measures.   I take scissors or a knife and cut in half.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 , it's not just you.

I will turn them over to get it to run down to the neck of the container but then they make them out of that hard plastic and you can't squeeze them to get any out.

I end uo throwing it away and make a mental note not to buy the pumps and to squeeze the non-pump containers while I'm in the store.

Honored Contributor

My gosh --- this is so gratifying!  I was thinking - it's just me!  Yes, as some of you have posted --- the manufacturers know exactly what they are doing!  It's really nasty --- as they figure a lot of us just get tired of wasting time messing with the containers, throw them out and then purchase again.  More money for them!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I can't stand to waste things either...As long as doing so doesn't mean I sacrifice too much from other things I care about.

My grandmother was alive during the Depression and remembered it vividly. She taught me to see wasting family resources as being hurtful to everyone else in the family and the future. I've eased up on those beliefs over time, just because I'm surrounded by so much bounty and abundance. But I still feel somehow morally obligated to attempt to conserve and avoid wasting things.

“Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, OR DO WITHOUT!”