Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I just turn the bottle upside down, lean it against something, and leave it balancing that way. Then each day I unscrew the pump cap thingy and pull product off the pump tube and from around the top of the inside of the bottle. I can usually get a week's worth more product out of it that way.

If I were really serious about it, I'd get a spatty. But I'm not quite that serious.

@Porcelain     I bought those spatty's  a larger on and a smaller one... I do use them often.... just nice to have in the arsonal Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I keep a couple of flip-top lids (that came on other products) around for just this reason. When the product no longer pumps, I toss the pump, put on a flip-top lid and turn the bottle upside down. This usually works just fine. If the product is really thick, I might add a bit of water & shake it well to make it pour better.

@vermint , @AngelPuppy1 , that's exactly what I do.  I have a bunch of those flip top lids that I have saved from other products.  There's a few sizes, but mostly they're pretty consistent, so I just find the size that fits my lotion bottle and replace the pump with the flip top lid and store it upside down.  It's amazing how much more product is still in the bottle.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@vermint wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I keep a couple of flip-top lids (that came on other products) around for just this reason. When the product no longer pumps, I toss the pump, put on a flip-top lid and turn the bottle upside down. This usually works just fine. If the product is really thick, I might add a bit of water & shake it well to make it pour better.

@vermint , @AngelPuppy1 , that's exactly what I do.  I have a bunch of those flip top lids that I have saved from other products.  There's a few sizes, but mostly they're pretty consistent, so I just find the size that fits my lotion bottle and replace the pump with the flip top lid and store it upside down.  It's amazing how much more product is still in the bottle.

The lotion I use doesn't move from the bottom when I turn the bottle up side down...the lotion is too thick.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee Have you tried adding some warm water to thin it just enough so it'll come out? That always works for me.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@SilleeMee Have you tried adding some warm water to thin it just enough so it'll come out? That always works for me.

@vermint 

Yes, thank you. I have done that before. The lotion is AHA treatment product so when I do that it sort of weakens the effect of the exfoliant. The thickness of my lotion is the one thing I don't like about it.  Wish it was just a little bit more runny...Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I understand! Yeah, that would weaken the "treatment" effect.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl   Q sold those at one time.  I have some.  Don't use them as much as I thought.      When I get near the bottom of things or can't get any more out of a tube, I cut the tube with shears (Mark Charles sells them on Q) and then transfer the rest of the product to little plastic containers I buy at Dollar Tree.   Even though I have an "inventory" of way too much stuff, I try to never waste any.  I also have a problem getting a lot of the pump bottles to get started--difficult ones are from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

@shaggygirl   Q sold those at one time.  I have some.  Don't use them as much as I thought.      When I get near the bottom of things or can't get any more out of a tube, I cut the tube with shears (Mark Charles sells them on Q) and then transfer the rest of the product to little plastic containers I buy at Dollar Tree.   Even though I have an "inventory" of way too much stuff, I try to never waste any.  I also have a problem getting a lot of the pump bottles to get started--difficult ones are from Bed, Bath and Beyond.

@Daysdee 

Well awhile after posting about them I decided to order a few. Instead of just going right to Amazon I googled them and instead of then clicking on Amazon I clicked on some other site that sells them and BAM next thing I knew I had that PITA double layered pop-up warning about my computer being capooey and click on this and that to repair it and oh boy what a time I had getting rid of it. FINALLY after running a full scan and my other thingy and a few restarts I was back in business. That's the second time I got that thing, the first time was about a year ago when I clicked on a link someone posted here.

Honored Contributor

Well, makes me feel better at least knowing that others feels the same frustration!  It's such a simple thing but it really gets me going.  I guess when it comes to showering and lotioning up, I seem to always be in a hurry and this process always slows me down.  I just want to get all of this done and move on with my day.  I don't want to have to fight with a stupid bottle of lotion!   Grrrrr!  

Some good suggestions here!  I appreciate all of your posts, commiserating with me and listing how you copie!

Along the same lines --- I also have problems with bottles of hair conditioners.  So many of them have the flip tops on the bottom of the containers.  I will be in the shower and then the plastic bottles are so thick that I am squeezing and squeezing and cannot budge the thick conditioner to make it come out.   I wish they would make the conditioner in a plastic bottle that is not so thick or more pliable or something.  I don't seem to have enough strength in my hands any more!!!!

Thanks, everyone!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Funny you mention this because I almost went all Freddy Krueger on a new bottle of Cetaphil face cleanser this morning.

I tried twisting/turning the pump to get it started, the way I thought it should but nothing happened.  I had to get my reading glasses to see the stupid arrow on the bottle and make sure I was twisting in the right direction.  Yep.  I spun that thing what seemed like 75 times and the pump didn't release.  Luckily I still had the used up bottle so I'll just dump the cleanser into that.    

Then I got into the shower and am nearing the end of my 32oz. Living Grace body wash.  Can't get it out using the pump anymore. So I had to take the lid off and dump the product onto my bath sponge.    

I still have enough strength in my hands to hack plastic bottles with dysfunctional pumps in half with a hefty pair of scissors.

The experience is good for both my dry skin and my temperament. My marriage has never been better, and I no longer kick the parakeet.