Honored Contributor

I hardly ever buy anything that doesn't have a pumpin it.  I hate when they are difficult to open.

When they get to where they won't pump product any more, I toss them.  I figure by then the stuff is old and should be pitched anyway.  

You'd save more money by eating a peanut butter sandwich at home and not going out once I'd guess, when it comes to economics against how much money you save by fighting with it to get the last drop out. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pump bottles on lotions

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

I hardly ever buy anything that doesn't have a pumpin it.  I hate when they are difficult to open.

When they get to where they won't pump product any more, I toss them.  I figure by then the stuff is old and should be pitched anyway.  

You'd save more money by eating a peanut butter sandwich at home and not going out once I'd guess, when it comes to economics against how much money you save by fighting with it to get the last drop out. 

In my case that would be a considerable amount for the lotion I buy...it's not a cheap lotion so I would like to get my money's worth by not wasting it.

The lotion I buy is thick and when I turn the bottle up side down the lotion doesn't moveWoman Frustrated...I guess that would make it more like a cream rather than a lotion.

Respected Contributor

Have you ever purchased "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray?  Every single time, the pump gets clogged beause the pump is relatively small and the liquid is thick.  About 2/3 of the way down on the old bottle, I open a new bottle, and then transfer the contents of the old bottle into the new bottle, when there is room.

Every single bottle.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Those Cetaphil bottles are the worst! I don't even bother with the pump anymore for those...I just toss it, and put on a flip--top cap. Saves time!

Honored Contributor

I turn my lotion bottles upside down when they get low. When I want to use it, I remove the pump and just shake or squeeze some out. For soaps I will add a bit of water to the  container.

It is much more frustrating when the pumps don’t work in the first place. I actually have a few spare pumps that I have used to replace non working ones. 

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper 

I have cut the ends off tubes...IT concealer and IT CC foundation.  

Then I roll or fold over the end but only after I clean out any product or it will ooze out the cut end.

Then I place a very small clamp on the end and place them topside down in my makeup carousel.

It can get messy:  have Q-tips and tissues handy as well as something to use as a small scraper.  ( some paddles came with other makeup kits. )

However, once done, you get product that comes out smoothly until you need to cut open the tube.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I cut the bottle, tube or whatever it comes in in half so I can put the rest of the product in a smaller container to finish using it. I have been doing this forever.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Maybe it's me but the older I get, the more frustrated I get with these pump bottles that most body lotions come in from drug stores!  Not only are a lot of them hard to get started -- that twistie, turny thing -- but once the lotion gets down to a certain point, you can't get any more lotion to dispense!  You can tell that there is quite a lot more in the container but forget trying to use the pump to get it out!  So, what do you do?  Take the lid off and pound and hit the container to disburse the lotion?  This you have to keep doing every time you want to get a bit of product until you feel the container is empty.  Time consuming and a pain!!!  

Or do you just get disgusted and throw the bottle out because you don't want to deal with it?  This seems like a waste.  I have done both things, depending upon my mood!  Just venting here!  Anyone else????  Should be a better way.  Of course, there are jars and tubes but usually the lotions I want are not in these vehicles!!!!  Thanks for reading!  

@AngelPuppy1       So What I do with the larger containers of say hand lotion  when they are too low to pump out  is to take a very sharp Serrated Knife 

and very carefully saw the plastic container inhalf.  ThenI just dip it out or put the remaining in a small dish that I wrap with saran wrap on top.  A hassel...YES.  But I get at least a week or more out of the product doing  this.. Call me cheap! LOL!

Honored Contributor

I just turn the bottle upside down, lean it against something, and leave it balancing that way. Then each day I unscrew the pump cap thingy and pull product off the pump tube and from around the top of the inside of the bottle. I can usually get a week's worth more product out of it that way.

If I were really serious about it, I'd get a spatty. But I'm not quite that serious.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Wanna hear something funny? Once a product (body wash, lotion, etc) gets near to the end, I feel disgusted with it and I can't wait to throw it away!  I don't want the last ounce of whatever it is.  I know, it's a weird mental disorder.  So I never find myself trying to squeeze the last drop out of anything.  

I do agree that the twisty turny things to start a pump can be difficult enough to make me wanna chuck it across the room.