Respected Contributor

Re: Professional hair care brands sold at drug stores?

I noticed that I could not find the particular Keristase product that my salon carries at CVS.  I think they reformulate their products to sell at drugstores.

Respected Contributor

Buying at a drugstore the product is not guaranteed and are probably very old and past expire date. Salon brands do not use drugstores as autherized dealers and BTW it is cheaper to buy from Ulta  or Beauty Brands  and get a garanteed product

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, they are obviously an authorized retalor, and yes, they are the real thing.

CVS wouldn't risk getting in to legal trouble by selling something that they weren't authorized to, and if it was fake.

Common sense should tell you that.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

If they are counterfeit or not real formulas, why is CVS allowed to sell them? I find plenty of drugstore brands like L’oreal, Pantene, etc so I just don’t feel the need to buy salon products. The shampoo my stylist uses on my hair is okay, but I don’t even know what brand it is.
I read on this forum that Laura Geller was going to sell her line at Walgreens but never have seen any of it there.
Honored Contributor

My niece owns a beauty salon and she says they sell very little product at the salon. I guess people finally found out the mark up is 300%. The hair salon I go to carries very few products, my hairdresser says, they just don't sell. Again, we think because we spend a fortune for a product, it must be better and work better. 

Trusted Contributor

I had a bad experience buying a professional brand shampoo and conditioner at Marshall's.  It was a brand I was familiar with and the price was great, so I bought it.  I pumped some shampoo into my hand and noticed it began to separate and also became aware of an unpleasant smell.  I pumped out some of the conditioner and the same thing happened. I returned it to Marshall's and received a full refund.

I told my stylist about it the next time I saw her, she said the product was "old". Even if a bottle of shampoo has never been opened and still has the factory seal, it will become "old" when stored over a period of time causing the quality of the product to become compromised.