Valued Contributor

Professional hair care brands sold at drug stores?

[ Edited ]

I was at my local cvs and noticed they had high end salon products like Kerastase and Oribe among others. 

Im a little shocked because i thought certain brands can only be sold in salons. Anyone else know why they're sold at drug stores now? 

Are they authorized retailers and are the products real? 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Super Contributor

Re: Professional hair care brands sold at drug stores?

This has been happening for years.  CVS also has Philosphy, Bare minerals,Peter Roth and other professional products to name a few.

Respected Contributor

I have always seen some salon brands at CVS but recently I noticed a lot more brands incldudng Devacurl and I was surprised.  I have also noticed they carry some high end skincare lines too like Peter Thomas Roth and Clarins, among others.  They seem to have really upped their beauty game in recent times.  It makes it more interesting to shop there, that's for sure.  Maybe they changed the rules since long ago when there was a sharp line between salon and drugstore brands. It's all intermingled now.

Honored Contributor

My hairdresser sain that when we see the same things sold in salons, they have been reformulated and aren't always good to use. 

The beauty companies wouldn't "kill" their bread and butter, the salons.

Honored Contributor

Some of the worst products I ever used came from a salon

Honored Contributor

Maybe the hairdresser is trying to keep your dollars at the salon.  I would doubt that the formula would change because it is being sold at CVS and marketed as the same product.

@ECBG wrote:

My hairdresser sain that when we see the same things sold in salons, they have been reformulated and aren't always good to use. 

Honored Contributor

and expensive....

@SilleeMee wrote:

Some of the worst products I ever used came from a salon

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

That's what I heard too, that they've been "watered-down" so to speak.

This made me think--is it the same with Wen that is sold here being a dif. formulation than the one sold on infomercials?

Respected Contributor

I would not purchase Kerastase at CVS as they are not authorized dealer.

From Kerastase .com

https://www.kerastase-usa.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

"6. I noticed Kérastase is sold at my local drugstore. Is this okay to buy?

Diverted products can be counterfeit, diluted formulas, or old, expired formulas that may not be safe to use. Contaminated or counterfeit products could cause irritation or even infection. If you buy our products in a supermarket, drugstore or any other outlet other than this website or a Kérastase Consultant Salon, we cannot guarantee that it is an authentic Kérastase product. For any diversion related inquiries or to report diversion, please contact NoDivert@support.lorealusa.com. 

List of authorized vendors:
Kerastase Consultant Salon
Kerastase-USA.com
Sephora (select retail locations)
Sephora.com
LookFantastic.com (The Hut Group)
Birchbox.com"

Trusted Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

I was at my local cvs and noticed they had high end salon products like Kerastase and Oribe among others. 

Im a little shocked because i thought certain brands can only be sold in salons. Anyone else know why they're sold at drug stores now? 

Are they authorized retailers and are the products real? 

It's usually called the grey market [not the black market].

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2015/08/92495/gray-market-beauty-industry-dangers-precautions