Honored Contributor

Will I need to replace all of the  products that I bought in 2019 but didnt use all of 2020?

I didnt wear my foundations, blush, lipstick.

Still wearing a mask but do wear lip color at home.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Re: Products that werent used

@CherryHugs   I would ditch the over. year-old products...enjoy your new found freedom.  I enjoy a bare minimum healthy routine.  You can decide what is critical for you and what makes you feel good about yourself.  This is an opportunity to rethink what gives you joy...kind of like a Marie Kondo for your face!

Super Contributor

I would still use your foundation, it's one of those items that doesn't contaminate easily.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs wrote:

Will I need to replace all of the  products that I bought in 2019 but didnt use all of 2020?

I didnt wear my foundations, blush, lipstick.

Still wearing a mask but do wear lip color at home.

@CherryHugs I do the smell test on lipstick. If it smells like crayons I toss it!  Most of my makeup is powder based (like IT celebration foundation) and I tend  to keep it around - until it looks off. Probably too long! 
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@busymom22 wrote:

I would still use your foundation, it's one of those items that doesn't contaminate easily.

@busymom22   Cream or liquid foundations, once opened, should be tossed after a year. Lipsticks, glosses, cream blushes, etc. are also subject to bacteria.

I throw out my SPFs that are opened, any skincare that is  over a year old, etc. on a regular basis, as well as cream based makeup. I work on a calendar year and do this clean out every January.  Of course, mascara goes out every 3 months. This is one good reason why super-sizes, duos, etc. are not a bargain to me. If I can't use it up within the year, it's a waste of product and money. 

Honored Contributor

Do you have sensitive skin or are prone to reactions?  Then I might consider tossing, otherwise no.

I also do the smell test....off/wonky then toss.  If not, use it!

I toss more because my tastes have changed than the age of it.

I have perfectly fine makeup that is YEARS old!  Since I do not have sensitive skin, I use it.  Not going to waste the money because of a date. 

The quality of the product is how I gauge it.

Honored Contributor

If it looks good and smells good, I keep it if I think I'm going to use it again.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs I  downsized  my makeup when I saw a report last week on bacteria living on cosmetics.
While I was alarmed and disgusted I really took the opportunity to dump older cosmetics and it feels good to let these items go.

I also learned if you look on your makeup there's a little icon of a container which has an imprinted shelf life time next to it. You may need a magnifying glass to see the shelf life icon. You can go from there. If the items look like they've seen better days and your hitting to the bottom of the pan, I'd toss it
If your items are still sealed I'd say these rules don't apply. I think shelf is once it's opened. Also, clean your makeup bag, brushes and sponges regularly and switch those sponges out often, especially the Beauty Blenders, they transfer the bacteria to your other products.

I agree with the posters who say smell is important, especially  for lipsticks and foundations.

Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs  did you open the items?  If not, keep them.  If you did but only used it sparingly you may still be in luck.  What is the expiry date on your products?  I've read they should have some.  I'd go buy that date.  Unless you have contaminated them in some way check carefully first before throwing it out.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs - I don't have a sense of smell - was born without it - so can't really go by smell of products.  Another poster mentioned the little icon on the packaging that shows an open "can" with an amount of time in it, for example, 6 mo or 12 mo or whatever.  What I do, since I can't smell if a product goes bad, I write - with a Sharpie - on the bottle or tube the date I opened the package and I put either 12m or 6m or whatever the box says in the "can" icon under the date.  If I can't write on the container, then I take a small piece of blue painters tape, and write the info on that and stick it on the container usually on the bottom of compacts like blushes.  The only makeup I don't do this too is lipstick.

This has helped me immensely cuz who can remember when we opened all our stuff and, if you can't smell it, well that can be a problem.  LOL  

I would say if any of your products are powders and are unopened, you're probably ok.  Know a lot of beauty vendors on the Q say that unopened products, esp powders, have a 2 year shelf life.  From reading all the posts on this board, I would say if you aren't sure re liquid or creams, then you may want to toss as everyone says these can go bad after awhile.