Honored Contributor

Products supposedly suitable for sensitive skin --- then why the fragrance????

Here's a peeve of mine --- maybe it's one of yours also!

I cannot use products on my face with fragrance --- at all. So, I'm always reading ingredient list every time I want to try something new or hear about a product that I think I might like.

Some products are touted as suitable for sensitive skin.  And --- even when you look them up they are listed as fragrance free -- then you go into the ingredient list and there is fragrance!  Why??  

Also, I used to not realize that there is a big difference between hypoallergenic and fragrance free.  Now, I know that I must look for fragrance free.  But even then, you have to be so careful about reading the ingredients. 

To my way of thinking if a product says fragrance free and suitable for sensitive skin, then there should be no fragrance!  

For instance I was looking on-line at a well-known brand of cream that I thought would be great for me and thankfully at last moment I looked and --- boom --- fragrance!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Products supposedly suitable for sensitive skin --- then why the fragrance????

My pet peeve as well, it's very frustrating and so unnecessary to put fragrance in facial products, what's the point? Do I really need my foundation or moisturizer to smell like perfume?  I'm using a product right now that i love by YSL, but it has fragrance so I'm waiting to see if it breaks me out.  It's ridiculous.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

Re: Products supposedly suitable for sensitive skin --- then why the fragrance????

@Karie2022 

I know fragance is not a problem for a lot of people and in fact they like it, but for those of us who have issues, it really knocks out a lot of good products that we could use!  And really I wouldn't even mind so much if they just clearly stated if something did have fragrance or not.  It would save me a lot of time!!!!  I have gone to stores all excited and set to buy something only to find out --- nope, can't have it -- fragrance! Or--- have ordered, and then find out and have to send back!!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This fragrance issue in skincare and makeup, too was started a long time ago when cosmetics was sold door to door or at house parties...Avon, Mary Kay, etc. It was to make the products more attractive to buyers. Women had no knowledge then of sensitivities and used many products w/ fragrance and other ingredients we'd never think of purchasing today. 

BTW, check out dept. store makeup/skincare like Lancôme, Estée Lauder abd even my beloved Bobbi Brown. Although some call it botanicals, it's very scented...some are not pleasant to me, but not irritating. 

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Good morning . I too struggle with sensitive skin . Mine is also oily and acne prone even at 56 . I tried to avoid fragrance . I found the young YouTube dermatologist Dr Dray and she states how fragrance is the top irritant for many people . She also has several videos on ingredients that are actually fragrances but people don't realize they are . She is very informative and has helped me with my skin care and making educated choices . She is worth checking out as she has some great affordable tips .

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  - Have you ever tried anything from Paula's Choice?  Fragrance was one of her pet peeves too when she founded the company.  I'm using a few of their products and I've been very pleased.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 to answer your question:  marketing....making money and this won't change..  You are a smart consumer and read the ingredient list.  This is the only way to be sure of what you are purchasing.  You can't believe the advertising/marketing hype.  So grateful for the internet, now we can research and understand what we are ingesting/applying.

Trusted Contributor

I've been using Paula's Choice since 1995.  It is color-free, fragrance-free, no animal testing and a 90 day money back guarantee.  Also, check out Beautypedia for reviews on makeup & skin care.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

Fragrance Free and Unscented do not mean the same thing, and neither one means hypoallergenic.

Unscented means a masking agent has been added to hide the scent of the ingredients from your brain. When you sniff the contents, you'll smell nothing.

Fragrance free means nothing has been added to either mask the scent of the ingredients, or to give it a particular scent.

When you sniff the contents you'll smell the natural smell of the ingredients.

My pet peeve is the people who write product descriptions, and the QVC hosts who ignore the description the manufacturer uses, thinking these two mean the same thing.

I hear QVC hosts call FF items unscented all the time. Then the customer is surprised when it has a scent!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

This fragrance issue in skincare and makeup, too was started a long time ago when cosmetics was sold door to door or at house parties...Avon, Mary Kay, etc. It was to make the products more attractive to buyers. Women had no knowledge then of sensitivities and used many products w/ fragrance and other ingredients we'd never think of purchasing today. 

BTW, check out dept. store makeup/skincare like Lancôme, Estée Lauder abd even my beloved Bobbi Brown. Although some call it botanicals, it's very scented...some are not pleasant to me, but not irritating. 

@Shanus 

I supposed that it so. If it smells pretty, it must be nice!  But, sadly no, this does not work for me.  I can't take a chance with fragrance or scent with my skin.  I have had too many bad reactions in the past.