Respected Contributor

Products for brightening and dark spots

I'd like to know what specific products you've used that have brightened your skin and faded dark spots. I'm 36, have post acne scars, some sun damage, and a couple of larger dark spots. All I want is makeup optional skin where my skin is bright and even toned. I'm thinking about the M2 line but would love to hear lots of opinions before I decide.
Respected Contributor

Re: Products for brightening and dark spots

[ Edited ]
I bumped up a thread for you...hope it help.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rachb,

I think you are going to get many answers here. Fact is, there are so many products on the market these days and it is so overwhelming. I'm not going to list the stuff I use or tell you the how and the why.  But my best advice to you is when you decide on a product, it must be used consistently, regularly and put it to the test for at least three to four months. 

I wish you luck in finding what you need and hopefully it can work for you in the years to come. My skin care regime took me a while to come together and even after I thought I got it right, things about my skin started changing again...a never ending quest for that makeup-optional face.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't have dark spots but the Ole Henrickson Truth serum is amazing for brightening and I saw a difference right away. It works better if you use it 2x a day and are consistent. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't have dark spots either but I've seen where people here have asked this same question.

I think (guess) it's from sun damage.  I remember Joan Rivers used to sell something on QVC that she said got rid of dark spots.  She said it was for your hands.  I bought it but (like most things) never used it.  

I so have a few spots on one hand and used it a few times.  Does anyone remember it?

Also, I remember, they used to make something called Porcelana.  It's been around for many years and I don't think it's expensive,

There are many stores who sell it (Walgreens said they do).  Just google it and you can go to a website that sells it and has many comments on if it works.  Many people thinks it does.  I don't want to post the website because it will get deleted.

I'd try it if I were you....in fact maybe I'll get some.  My problem is that other than my Dr. Denese routine I don't follow through will much.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66,

That JR hand cream was called ABSOLUTELY MAGIC.

Esteemed Contributor

For sun damage I would go with Alpha Hydroxy Acid. Paulas Choice has one here. http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/aha-and-bha-exfoliants/_/Skin-Perfecting-Eight...

I also really like Alpha Hydrox and that is what I am using at the moment. There are several different ones with different strengths. If you are new start off with one of the lower strength. http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/alpha-skin-care/anti-aging/?CAWELAID=120188630000000281&CAPCID=9362...

For dark spots  and brightening,you could use several different things. I would start off with this. http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/brightening/_/Anti-Aging-Power-Couple-Resist-C...

If they are stubborn, I personally would get prescription hydroquinone from a derm. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Like many with dark skin I am prone to hyperpigmentation.  I started using hydroquinoine products when I was in my early teens. I still think a small percentage of hydroquinoine is ideal for lightening dark spots, but there are fine alternatives available now.  My personal favorite is the entire line of Ole Henriksen's vitamin C products called Truth.  Sephora has an introductory kit of small sizes called The Whole Truth which I highly recommend as a place to start.  The Truth Serum and Moisturizer are must haves for me.  

Another lightener I like a lot is Vichy Labs ProEven Dark Spot Corrector.  

Respected Contributor

I am in the same boat searching for an effectie dark spot corrector. I have sun damage, acne scars, and dark spots.  I have tried Cliniques Dark Spot Corrector, Garnier's Skin Renew Dark Spot Corrector, and Olay's Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream.  I am not sure if any of the above product did anything for my skin. Right now I am using Paula's Choice's TSV, which has 2% BHA liquid, Resist wrinkle repair retinal serum, and Resist Barrier repair moisturizer.  It seems to make my skin look brighter. But since I just started using it, I can't tell you if it fades dark spots.  

Respected Contributor

Before I began using tretinoin ( generic Retin A ), I had a series of microdermabrasion to break up as many of the dark spots I had and to bring more clarity to the skin.

Now I am on a quarterly appointment at the dermatologist's office for a microdermabrasion.  Refill on the tretinoin won't be for a long while as I only use it three times a week so far.  The skin looks better now than when I was in college !!!

So, if you are going to start a regimen with any of the posted products, give them a great start with a micro facial.  Good luck !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill