Honored Contributor

Products That Lighten and Brighten

Seeing a thread this morning about dark spots on the face made me think of this question I've been wanting to ask for a long time.

I don't have dark spots on my face.  It is even in color.  The advertising term "lighten and brighten" always make me look twice at the product.  I'm not interested in using Retin A (but I do use a retinol).  My question is...since I don't have dark spots and my complexion is even, will products that claim to lighten dark spots lighten and brighten a complexion that doesn't have dark spots or does it just target hyperpigmentation?  Niacinamide did help with evening my complexion.  I shun sunlight like a vampire!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Products That Lighten and Brighten

I use Estee Lauder pomegranate products from that line. I use them at night only. And after I started using them, I did notice that my complexion had a brighter more even glow to it overall.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

Seeing a thread this morning about dark spots on the face made me think of this question I've been wanting to ask for a long time.

I don't have dark spots on my face.  It is even in color.  The advertising term "lighten and brighten" always make me look twice at the product.  I'm not interested in using Retin A (but I do use a retinol).  My question is...since I don't have dark spots and my complexion is even, will products that claim to lighten dark spots lighten and brighten a complexion that doesn't have dark spots or does it just target hyperpigmentation?  Niacinamide did help with evening my complexion.  I shun sunlight like a vampire!

@monicakm 

Using products which 'lighten' and 'brighten' might help maintain an already even-tone complexion and could possibly help prevent uneven skin tone from developing in the future. Uneven skin tone doesn't necessarily always come from sun damage. It can come from hormone changes and also what you do to your skin, especially over-exfoliation, laser treatments or microneedling excess.

Respected Contributor

I like Philosophy's The Present which is a clear makeup that smoothes out skin tone. If you want to have a natural look, but not too natural this one works. I use it for primer as well.

I am concerned that it may have been discontinued by Coty. I hope not. It was my favorite product from Philosophy. I still have two tubes thanks to my COVID lockdown and masks. I may just use them regardless of age if I do not find it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

It sounds like a silicone primer.  They do smooth and blur the skin.  Monistat CHAFING Gel will do the exact same thing.  I used to use it all the time for that very effect Smiley Happy  Picked up the tip here 25+ years ago

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee ...  I am naming you the Grand Pooh Bah of Skincare ...  at least for me you are.  I have tried everything for my dark spots too including freezing them but they keep coming back.  I don't use tanning creams any longer because I think they also make my spots even darker.  I was a terrible sun lover my entire life.   Having freckles and acne, the sun dried up the acne and the tan would hide my freckles.  I also took antibiotics prescribed by my dermatologist for my skin which made me tan even faster.  It was a nasty cycle which at 73, I now regret but at the time loved the deep tan and no pimples !!  I OWN these dark spots ... every one of them.  Now I still look for a full coverage makeup but I've been disappointed with everyone I've tried.  I STILL have oily skin and hate the shiny look.  I just want a makeup to cover the spots with a matte finish.  I've tried every department store vendor and I'm intimidated at Ulta or Sephora.  I've also tried every makeup Facebook ever advertised, including some with names that I'm sure come directly from the Wuhan laboratory.  But if you have any recommendations for me I would love to try them.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your kind words Woman Happy @Pantsonfire2 .

I would say @Shanus is our makeup expert here. She knows a lot about that. She might help you with what you need. 

Honored Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

@SilleeMee ...  I am naming you the Grand Pooh Bah of Skincare ...  at least for me you are.  I have tried everything for my dark spots too including freezing them but they keep coming back.  I don't use tanning creams any longer because I think they also make my spots even darker.  I was a terrible sun lover my entire life.   Having freckles and acne, the sun dried up the acne and the tan would hide my freckles.  I also took antibiotics prescribed by my dermatologist for my skin which made me tan even faster.  It was a nasty cycle which at 73, I now regret but at the time loved the deep tan and no pimples !!  I OWN these dark spots ... every one of them.  Now I still look for a full coverage makeup but I've been disappointed with everyone I've tried.  I STILL have oily skin and hate the shiny look.  I just want a makeup to cover the spots with a matte finish.  I've tried every department store vendor and I'm intimidated at Ulta or Sephora.  I've also tried every makeup Facebook ever advertised, including some with names that I'm sure come directly from the Wuhan laboratory.  But if you have any recommendations for me I would love to try them.  

@SilleeMee   Thank you for the honorable mention. @Pantsonfire2  Dark spots are best treated with a fading product...prescription strength is best. If you don't want to go that that route, I suggest not trying to cover your entire face with a heavy foundation, but try  using a medium coverage one and then using a small brush, do what's called "pinpoint concealing" with a product like Dermblend or Tarte Shape Tape which is a heavier, full coverage concealer just on the spots.

BTW, no one's complexion is completely spot free and even toned exept a baby's. Perfection is not usually natural looking. When I use a heavy foundation on clients, I add back a few freckles/spots with a waterproof gel liner in brown and a tiny brush.