Honored Contributor

Re: Products Made in Italy/China

@Carmie wrote:

No, by the time stuff gets here from the slow boat from China or Italy, any viruses would be dead.  It doesn't live forever, usually only 9 days on most surfaces.

I would be more worried about stuff getting contaminated right here on store shelves.

@Carmie   I think sealed contents on shelves would be as safe as they used to be. I'm going an extra step and wiping down any new outer packaging delivered or brought into the house including groceries, mail, etc. I don't think bacteria can live on a surface more than 24 hrs. 

Valued Contributor

This is an example of over reaction! The virus is transmitted from person to person. Not from inanimate objects or animals, for that matter. It's good to be clean and wipe surfaces, but don't we always do that? And washing fresh produce is a longtime practice, since the salmonella scares.

It's going overboard to think that imported products are dangerous per se. Yes, I watch the ingredients and never buy anything like makeup or analgesics or toothpaste from the Dollar stores, but there's a limit to caution.

Let's be calm and not fall prey to unprovable scares.

God Bless!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cozyseeker wrote:

@Nataliesgramma  YES, I am expecting, hopefully, a large grocery delivery today. I have had to wait one week for the delivery. What I actually get remains to be seen. But, I am so afraid of what to do with the items when I get them. They will be left on the porch, but I don't know how to "sanitize, as best I can with the items. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

@cozyseeker   Usually have Clorox wipes on hand for reg. cleaning, but we all know how fast those flew off shelves. I mixed my non-chlorine bleach w/ lots of water in a spray bottle and am using either rags that I can throw in wash or paper towels to wipe down cans, jars. When it comes to boxes (cereal, pasta, etc.), when possible, pouring contents into Lock & Lock or Tupperware or jars. Being really careful to wash loose veggies. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Not really, though I do buy items made in the usa whenever I can.  

There are tips for washing your fuits and veggies on the FDA website.

You really cannot go crazy though with cleaning the entire grocery order.

Just be mindful about it and you'll be fine.

@LindaSal   I'm almost getting to the "going nuts" w/ cleaning everything coming into the house. Groceries definitely wiped down if possible although reading non-porous surfaces don't hold onto live bacteria very long.  DH still able to go to the office. In garage, hand washing stuff, basket for clothes & wipe shoes or leave them in garage, put out his jeans/tee. Same if I make run to grocery or Lowe's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There have been scares for many years that hairs, mouse droppings, etc. have been found in skincare/makeup factories....foods, too. S**t happens unless you want to make and grow everything yourself so you can oversee it. All of a sudden Romain lettuce?

Trusted Contributor

@BrandiDavis  I know! It's really scary what they put in makeup. I read an FDA article about makeup from China and posts from other viewers on YouTube about this, so I know I'm not alone in concerns. Since the originator of It Cosmetics sold the company, the makeup is now being manufactured in China, so I stopped buying. But, people only see what they want to when it comes to money. This makeup is incredibly cheap and sadly it appears that's all that matters. Naturally, people can do what they want, but for me, it's a no.  JMO !

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zitawins wrote:

This is an example of over reaction! The virus is transmitted from person to person. Not from inanimate objects or animals, for that matter. It's good to be clean and wipe surfaces, but don't we always do that? And washing fresh produce is a longtime practice, since the salmonella scares.

It's going overboard to think that imported products are dangerous per se. Yes, I watch the ingredients and never buy anything like makeup or analgesics or toothpaste from the Dollar stores, but there's a limit to caution.

Let's be calm and not fall prey to unprovable scares.

God Bless!

@zitawins Nope. I never wiped down my groceries before putting them away or pkgs. delivered on porch before bringing them inside. Different times, different measures. Would love to go to only "clean" beauty, but different levels of clean, too. Maybe some products I use not available at the level of clean I'd prefer. Would have to investigate. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped purchasing cosmetics from China years ago.All brushes are made in China,so I wash them before I use them.

I am from Italy and read everyday what is happening there.I would still buy stuff from Italy,it was probably made months ago.Most factories in Italy are closed anyway.

The virus can't survive on surfaces more than 9 days.In Italy they are told to leave shoes in the garage and to change clothes when you go home.We have been doing that forever.Over there everyone wears masks and gloves when they go to supermarkets.

Regular Contributor

The recommendation is that your wipe down any outside packaging that comes into your house.  I'm wiping down the cartons and leaving them in my garage for at least 24 hours before opening.  It's a nuisance but these are the times we are in.  Stay healthy everyone

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

No, by the time stuff gets here from the slow boat from China or Italy, any viruses would be dead.  It doesn't live forever, usually only 9 days on most surfaces.

I would be more worried about stuff getting contaminated right here on store shelves.

@Carmie   I think sealed contents on shelves would be as safe as they used to be. I'm going an extra step and wiping down any new outer packaging delivered or brought into the house including groceries, mail, etc. I don't think bacteria can live on a surface more than 24 hrs. 

I am sure food sealed in packages is mostly safe, but produce you can pick and choose yourself is not.  At this time our main concern is not bacteria, but a mean nasty virus.

I have been trying to buy only packaged produce and I have been getting rid of the wrapper as soon as I  home.  I don't want to put plastic wrap or bags in my refrigerator that might have been coughed on or touched my someone who just sneezed into their hands.