Honored Contributor

Re: Product for itchy scalp?

[ Edited ]

@depglass  The one thing that really works is Tarte's Maracuja oil.  You just massage 2 to 3 drops into the scalp.  I place the drops onto the tips of my fingers and massage.  It works for me -- itching stops.  You can also read about Maracuja oil online and what it does for you.  I always buy the travel size and last time I purchased online from Tarte it was buy one get one free.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

What helps is apple cider vinegar with the "mother" in it.

After washing your hair and conditioning it have about 8-12 ounces of warm water and put about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it and the poor it over your hair. Protect your eyes. Then rinse it out. 

This helps.

Esteemed Contributor

@msgb wrote:

What helps is apple cider vinegar with the "mother" in it.

After washing your hair and conditioning it have about 8-12 ounces of warm water and put about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it and the poor it over your hair. Protect your eyes. Then rinse it out. 

This helps.

The vinegar helps if you have soapy (fatty) buildup at the scalp. Use it following a clarifying shampoo.

It also temporarily alters the ph level of your scalp. That may help if the cause of the itch isn't hormonal, meds, other internal trigger.

Honored Contributor

Maybe you have build up on your scalp from your shampoo. My scalp started to itch and I switched to clarifying shampoo specifically Rise&Shine Cleansing  Scrub. The itching stopped immediately, you need to use a conditioner after the scrub or you won't get a comb through your hair. Tweak-d does sell conditioner.

Trusted Contributor

My husband has itchy scalp this time of year and has dry coarse hair.  We found Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment  at TJMaxx and he decided to give it a try. He said it has helped.

Respected Contributor

I thought I'd tried everything until I tried Tweak-d (the moisturizing one, Dhalto or something like that).  Finally, no itching.  Another benefit is I only have to wash my hair every 3rd day.  I don't need any styling products either.  

Honored Contributor

Add some tea tree oil to your shampoo.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@depglass 

A powerful humidifier in the bedroom is a necessity for me this time of year.  We have an AprilAir whole house humidifier, but I need more in the winter.

Hope you find a ‘fix’ soon!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

Scalpicin Max Strength really helps.  Sometimes I I use Head n Shoulders for itchy scalp too, but nothing really helps like Scalpicin Maximum. 

@depglass  I agree, this works... Readily available at any drugstore...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@depglass 

From time to time, I'll have a scratchy, itchy head for months at a time, who knows why? My hairstylist told me anxiety can cause "itchy scalp syndrome". I chalk it up to that. I've found significant relief using Kaffir Lime shampoo and scalp tonic. I purchase both products from Amazon, it's not outrageously priced. The bottle of shampoo looks small but lasts me for 3-4 months.