Honored Contributor

Primers and Moisturizers --- How to proceed

I haven't been wearing much makeup at all since the covid thing and have been trying to slowly work my way back into it!  I have been noticing that my skin seems to have changed yet again the last 2 years or so.  I am somewhat dryer.  I still have, of course, the very sensitive and reactive skin, and the roasacea causes me to have some slight redness, broken caps, and unfortunately some breakouts.  

I definitely need moisture to my skin but if I add to much, I break out all the more!

When I wear makeup --- it seems my skin looks all the more dry.  Shows the fine lines, little flakes.  These do not show when I am just wearing moisturizer.  

I ordered a moisturizing primer to wear under my makeup which I have not received yet.  

Do you use this primer instead of moisturizer?  Or do you still use your regular moisturizer and then the primer?  I am just concerned that I will be adding too much and then blocking my pores possibly and causing more breakouts, milia, etc???

Just in a quantry as to how to proceed.??

Would some of the resident makeup gurus offer me some help or tips?

Thank you so much! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Primers and Moisturizers --- How to proceed

@AngelPuppy1    I have gotten very dry as I have aged and feel uncomfortable if I don't add moisture.  I do use a primer every morning.  I also use a moisturizer, but I have lots of lines and even wrinkles --  as do many of us who grew up in the years we never heard about sunscreen.

foundations often exacerbate them instead of hiding them, so if I think I really need foundation, I do best by mixing a bit with my moisture.  I know the coverage is less, but for me it does work to avoid most of the other issues.  Less is more for me.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops   I do the same....mix a bit of moisturizer with my foundation (and frequently go without).  I also subscribe to the less is more club.Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I am not a big supporter of primers. They aren't magic, although a lot of people love them.

To me. Just my opinion. If I get my skncare right I don't need a primer. Plus I have tried them & they either do nothing or break me out. 

But, if the primer is the step that makes your skincare complete then that is wonderful!

1. If your skin seems drier try changing your cleanser. Even if it is one that you have used or claims to be for dry or sensitive skin. A cleanser can make a big difference. I use Ulta or Shea Moisture brand argan oil to break down my makeup & First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser.

2. It is a challenge to find enough mositure for my skin that doesn't break me out. Right now I am finishing PTR Acne Clear Oil Free Matte Moisturizer during the day (I am trying Cosrx Oil Free Ultra Moisturizing Lotion, to see if it breaks me out. It may replace the PTR.)

And, then at night I am using La Mer Cooling Gel Moisturizer Cream. Expensive, but my skin really likes it & I feel like I tried every other thing in the world.

3. What foundation are you using? You have to make sure that it also works with your moisturizer/primer combo.

It's a pain & I wish you great luck!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What about using a tinted moisturizer? One that is non-comedogenic. I was just looking at this when I saw your thread @AngelPuppy1 . This has hundreds of good reviews on Amazon and it's less than $12.

ETA - I just checked InciDecoder for their take on the ingredients and they don't list anything "icky" and many of the others are listed as  "goodie". 

Key ingredients are caffeine (#6 in the deck), some soothing stuff and sunscreen (mineral). I've placed this product in my cart over on amazon but I'm afraid it might make me look ghostly b/c that's what most mineral sunscreens do to my skin tone. My skin is naturally on the tan side.

Amazon.com: CETAPHIL Redness Relieving Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 20 |  1.7 fl oz | Broad spectrum Sunscreen | Neutral Tint | For Redness-Prone  Skin | Dermatologist Recommended Brand : Everything Else

Buy CETAPHIL Redness Relieving Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 20 | 1.7 fl oz  | Broad spectrum Sunscreen | Neutral Tint | For Redness-Prone Skin |  Dermatologist Recommended Brand Online in Vietnam. B01M31HUYJ

Respected Contributor

I have been using moisturizer and then primer every day.  I'm in my late 70's and I'm just starting with noticeable lines.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I haven't been wearing much makeup at all since the covid thing and have been trying to slowly work my way back into it!  I have been noticing that my skin seems to have changed yet again the last 2 years or so.  I am somewhat dryer.  I still have, of course, the very sensitive and reactive skin, and the roasacea causes me to have some slight redness, broken caps, and unfortunately some breakouts.  

I definitely need moisture to my skin but if I add to much, I break out all the more!

When I wear makeup --- it seems my skin looks all the more dry.  Shows the fine lines, little flakes.  These do not show when I am just wearing moisturizer.  

I ordered a moisturizing primer to wear under my makeup which I have not received yet.  

Do you use this primer instead of moisturizer?  Or do you still use your regular moisturizer and then the primer?  I am just concerned that I will be adding too much and then blocking my pores possibly and causing more breakouts, milia, etc???

Just in a quantry as to how to proceed.??

Would some of the resident makeup gurus offer me some help or tips?

Thank you so much! 

@AngelPuppy1   I love Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base for that reason...moisturizer combined with primer. Sometimes, if going to wear a mask, I use a primer on top of my spf, the last step in my skincare, to seal in all the moisture, spf, serums, etc. Even using no foundation, but concealer to cover any redness, a primer is helpful. 

Honored Contributor

Like @Dusty1 , I'm not a separate primer user. I have never noticed a difference with them on my skin.  I too feel if I use the proper moisturizer and the right foundation, there is no need for primer.  I was using the Elemis moisturizer/primer combo but once used up, I wasn't inclined to repurchase.  

Maybe if I have major skin concerns I would feel differently about a primer.  I have tried them in the past and always used it in addition to my moisturizer, not in place of.   

Esteemed Contributor

Having really dry skin, I avoid primers. I've yet to find a "moisturizing" primer.

Thin, runny foundations like Armani seem to settle into my laugh lines all the more.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Hi I have combination acne prone sensitive skin . I can never do  too many layers of products . We are stil wearring masks to work here in NYC, so wearing full makeup is a no go for me too .  I am really loving SuperGOOP Unseen sunscreen spf 40 . It goes on like a primer . It is light enough to wear under my mask with no breakouts . For home use or for running errands I like tinted sunscreens like COLORSCIENCE or MD SOLAR SCIENCES . They are both near the end of the tubes . I actually purchased Lune and Aster CC spf 50 to try and replace them . It should be coming by the end of the week .