Honored Contributor

Re: Primers - Some help appreciated

@AngelPuppy1 

If you're open to the idea, here is a very inexpensive product that might work for your sensitive skin and YES, you still apply moisturizer with primer (or at least I do).  They are not the same type of product even tho some primers claim to be moisturizing primers.  Try a tube of Monistat CHAFING Gel as a primer.  A primer is the last you apply before makeup. It's a silicone product, fragrance free and pore filling and has to be gentle due to where it's made to be applied.  I've applied it by it's self (no makeup) for a smoother, pore free look. 

I can't use it anymore.  Well maybe I could since my desert-dry skin is in a very happy place (not dry anymore).   I think it's about $6 at WM.  

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  There are primers that are tinted green to counteract redness in the skin, you mentioned that's an issue for you.  Even ELF (and maybe Milani and Covergirl) has them.  Other than that I can't recommend a specific one as I don't have redness, I have different issuesWoman Frustrated.  I hope you find exactly what you need.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 72 with oily skin. My complexion is sensitive and prone to breakouts... and it's also blotchy. I needed a primer to even out color and smooth. I found what my complexion was needing in Mally's Neutralizing Primer. Does Qvc still sell it? I bought several tubes at Kohl's just before covid hit, so I still have a couple in reserve.

I usually wear Mally's Neutralizing Primer instead of foundation. Nice, all day coverage for me.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Is it fragrance free?  Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

I have been using the Elf putty primer and very happy with it.

@MG Chris 

Does it seem heavy?  I can't stand heavy stuff on my skin!  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Firstly. It's my opinion that there are no single products out there that do everything.  Skincare is one thing, makeup is another.  If you want a smooth texture, that's achieved through proper exfoliation and skincare. When a primer pills, it's because it's not playing nicely with yiur skincare.  @SilleeMee may be able to guide you as to ingredients that don't cooperate with each other.  A primer will give a blurring effect   There are some that are more moisturizing but I don't think they replace an actual moisturizer.  Then there are some that are mattifyjng, but that doesn't mean they're drying or irritating.  I'm just a few years younger than you with reasonably normal skin.  It's a little more sensitive now than it used to be, but only reacts when I do too much to it.  On a whim, I recently tried a primer I stumbled upon on Amazon and I'm shocked at how well it performs for me. I used it yesterday, applied around noon or so, and when we got home just before midnight my makeup still looked really good. I'm sure you could use it by itself. 

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Thank you very much!  It is fragrance free?  This is my biggest concern. 

Honored Contributor

@henderson 

Thank you for recommending! Is there only one kind that Paula's Choice has?

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 I have your same type skin. I have had very good luck with Philosophy's The Present. It does not irritate my skin. I apply it and allow to dry completely before beginning my makeup. I usually wait several minutes to be sure it is dry. At this point look in the mirror. You may not need additional makeup. The Present makes your skin look better. If you want more coverage, apply the remainder of your cosmetics per your regular routine.

@On It 

Sounds great!  Is it fragrance free though?  I have to follow this.  Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Thank you!! 

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

I am using rms "re" evolve radiance locking hydrating primer. Depending on the time of year I just need this and an spf. If I am very dry I add a little moisturizer. 

@Janey2 

Thank you!  Same quesrtion --- fragrance free?