Honored Contributor

Primers - Just purchased a new one and I have some questions!

I have been wanting to try a primer for under my foundation but just didn't know what kind to purchase.

I just purchased one by Almay --- it is the one which has the green and lilac colored swirls in it.  I thought this might be good since I do have redness to my cheeks and broken caps, etc.  This one does have some moisturizing properties to it.

What I want to ask is --- do I have to wear moisturizer under the primer since it already has moisturizer in it?  I am afraid if I keep layering things on my skin - moisurizer, primer, then foundation, then concealer, then powder, then blush, etc, that i will get more milia!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  

Is there a different kind of primer I should use instead that might not cause more milia?  I have very sensitve skin and cannot do anything with fragrance or harsh ingredients.

Thank you very much for your advice!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Re: Primers - Just purchased a new one and I have some questions!

The formula that works for me is to use Moistruizer + Primer + Foundation. I am trying to avoid milia too. What has been a big help to me is to use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid. QVC used to sell this in a big bottle, now it doesn't. But this will help keep the pores from being clogged.   I would avoid products with Mineral Oil in them too. My favorite primer is Velvet Skin Coat by DHC Skincare,. I also like Say Yes to Cucumbers Sensitive Moisturizer.

Esteemed Contributor

@piperbay

@piperbay wrote:

The formula that works for me is to use Moistruizer + Primer + Foundation. I am trying to avoid milia too. What has been a big help to me is to use Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid. QVC used to sell this in a big bottle, now it doesn't. But this will help keep the pores from being clogged.   I would avoid products with Mineral Oil in them too. My favorite primer is Velvet Skin Coat by DHC Skincare,. I also like Say Yes to Cucumbers Sensitive Moisturizer.

Love DHCPrimer, but the tube for 20.00 was so small.  I use Mally primer in big jar.  Does DHC come in larger size?

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry, but you asked, & I do have an opinion on primers. 

Primers are not magic. Every blog, magazine & SA at a beauty counter will give the answer to any question ..."Oh you need a primer.". 

A few years ago the answer was "Oh you need a toner.".

1. It is all trial & error to see what works for you & your skin & it is a PAIN! And, can be expensive. And, so very frustrating. Especially with skin like mine that breaks out from every other thing.

2, Get your skincare right. Moisture, oil control, sunscreen, whatever you need. Maybe for your skin the moisture in the Almay Primer is all that you need. The are just ingredients in a product. Try it by itself & if that is all you need don't worry about the product being a "primer" & not labeled as a "moisturizer". 

Make sure that you have a cleanser (or 2 cleansers-I use argan oil to break down makeup & PTR Rose Stem Cell Cleanser) that is breaking down makeup/skincare & cleaning your skin, but not drying it out.

3. I'm pretty sure that the Almay Primer is sheer & will not give you much color correction, but it is really pretty in that bottle. So if you really want color correction/coverage you may have to add something else. Concealer, foundation, powder, etc to get the look that you want.

Good luck & let us know what you think of the Almay.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,  When I wear primer, I always use my moisturizer first and then the primer.  Only use a little placing dots on both cheeks, chin and forehead.  I can't remember the last time I used a primer.  I have it (Laura Mercier samples) but I just forget to use it.  I never got Milia from using the moisturizer & primer together & I use a tinted moisturizer.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 If the primer has some moisturizer in it, you may not need another one. I know for me, in the summer when my skin is even oilier, I just spray on some WEN Replenishing Treatment Mist, smooth it in and then apply primer once it's dry (just a few seconds later). Sometimes I need a bit more moisture in the winter, so I mix just a dab of a cream moisturizer in my hand with the spray. I use Laura Geller Spackle. This routine has never caused my skin any problems. I'm 62, if that matters.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use primer--when I remember to--but I use it OVER my other skincare. Let your serums, moisturizers dry well then apply the primer. It will help keep all those good things into your skin. I like Laura Gellers spackle, Smashbox has a great primer too. Right now I am using Skinn line fill, which is a primer. Seems to make whatever foundation,liquid or powder, go on smoother. I heard Laura G say to appy her spackle on after your nighttime skincare as it will help keep it on your face and not rub off on your pillow case--tried it and it works well . Also--go to e$bay and buy samples of a few primers, instead of paying so much $$ and hating it. I do this all the time.

Valued Contributor

@qvcadditionThere is only one size primer and it is expensive. There is one month that is goes on sale though and I can't remember which month.

Honored Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

@piperbay

I appreciate your advice.  I have Rosacea and can't use BHA and those type of things.  So, this is why I try and watch what I slather on my face!  I asked my derm. if he could prescribe a mild retonoid (sp) and he said --- no, your skin is too sensitive.  

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I'm sorry, but you asked, & I do have an opinion on primers. 

Primers are not magic. Every blog, magazine & SA at a beauty counter will give the answer to any question ..."Oh you need a primer.". 

A few years ago the answer was "Oh you need a toner.".

1. It is all trial & error to see what works for you & your skin & it is a PAIN! And, can be expensive. And, so very frustrating. Especially with skin like mine that breaks out from every other thing.

2, Get your skincare right. Moisture, oil control, sunscreen, whatever you need. Maybe for your skin the moisture in the Almay Primer is all that you need. The are just ingredients in a product. Try it by itself & if that is all you need don't worry about the product being a "primer" & not labeled as a "moisturizer". 

Make sure that you have a cleanser (or 2 cleansers-I use argan oil to break down makeup & PTR Rose Stem Cell Cleanser) that is breaking down makeup/skincare & cleaning your skin, but not drying it out.

3. I'm pretty sure that the Almay Primer is sheer & will not give you much color correction, but it is really pretty in that bottle. So if you really want color correction/coverage you may have to add something else. Concealer, foundation, powder, etc to get the look that you want.

Good luck & let us know what you think of the Almay.

@Dusty1

Oh, no, that's o.k.  I don't expect miracles!  I wish!!! LOL.  The Almay doesn't really have much color to it so I don't know if I will keep it or not.  

I am on the fence about primers.  I am just looking for something to give my face a smoother look and to have my foundation look better.  

I am going through things with aging and my skin and am just trying to find a routine which I am content with!

At my age, I know I will never look 21 again or even close!  I just want to look as good as I can!