Respected Contributor

I purchased Prep Step by Bare Minerals and am confused about how to use it. 

Since it's a "prep" product, i assumed it's to be used as a normal prep item, over moisturizer and serum, then before applying makeup.  However, this product has moisturizing ingredients in it, so I'm not certain on what to do.  I've tried it with and without moisturizer, but since I'm not very dry, I wonder if I'm over-doing it by using it with moisturizer. 

Just to be sure, I called Bare Minerals and was told to use it under moisturizer!  Wow, I am confused!    Anyone have the right way to use this product?

Thank you!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If it has sunscreen, it should go on before or in place of a moisturizer.

Here's some information from Paula's Choice. (No link, because QVC mods will delete it because it links to a sales site.)

The vast majority of medical experts and skin researchers agree: Sunscreen is always, always, the final step in your skin-care routine. Any skin-care product applied over a sunscreen reduces the sunscreen's effectiveness to some degree. If you apply moisturizers or serums over your sunscreen, they reduce the amount of protection you get, and that is a serious problem. With the exception of a few naysayers, these guidelines are universally agreed on as the correct way to use sunscreen.

Note: Because most sunscreens have a moisturizing base, most people can skip applying "regular" moisturizer during the day—your sunscreen should provide enough moisture, so no need to layer moisturizer underneath it. Instead, consider applying an antioxidant-rich serum before your sunscreen to boost the skin's environmental defenses.

Here's advice from a dermatologist who discusses what to layer first if you need a skin medication (or serum for those without medication, a sunscreen, and a moisturizer:

If you’re a regular sunscreen user who also uses cosmetics or topical medications, you’ve probably wondered what the proper order is for applying these products. Does sunscreen go on first? Last? In the middle?

“You’ve probably wondered what the proper order is for applying these products. Does sunscreen go on first? Last? In the middle? First topical medications, then sunscreen,” says Bradford R. Katchen, MD, associate professor of dermatology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York City.

“If sunscreen is applied first, it might interfere with the medication’s penetration and might inactivate the active ingredient. For that reason, medication should always be the first product applied to a clean, washed face.”

If you’re also using a moisturizer, it should go on after the medication and before the sunscreen, adds Rosemarie Ingleton, MD, attending physician, Beth Israel Medical Center and clinical instructor, Mount Sinai Medical Center. “Applying a moisturizer after the medication could actually enhance penetration of the medication,” she notes. “If the moisturizer does not contain an SPF, apply a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher next. Finally, apply foundation, powder, blush and any other colored cosmetics.”

To recap, the layering process goes as follows: medication, moisturizer, sunscreen, foundation, powder and blush.

Respected Contributor

Chynna Blue,  thank you.  That certainly is the opposite of what the Bare Minerals rep stated.  Yikes!

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

Chynna Blue,  thank you.  That certainly is the opposite of what the Bare Minerals rep stated.  Yikes!

Some people do say sunscreen needs to be closer to the skin and go under a moisturizer, by my dermatologist says it's the last step and most sources I've found back that up. Besides, you have to reapply sunscreen, which wouldn't be effective at all if sunscreen had to be right on your skin. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Which Prep Step did you get?  There is the original 50 SPF and there is the new Moisturizer one called Moisture Set radiant cream.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

I purchased Prep Step by Bare Minerals and am confused about how to use it. 

Since it's a "prep" product, i assumed it's to be used as a normal prep item, over moisturizer and serum, then before applying makeup.  However, this product has moisturizing ingredients in it, so I'm not certain on what to do.  I've tried it with and without moisturizer, but since I'm not very dry, I wonder if I'm over-doing it by using it with moisturizer. 

Just to be sure, I called Bare Minerals and was told to use it under moisturizer!  Wow, I am confused!    Anyone have the right way to use this product?

Thank you!  Smiley Happy

Is this the white one?   I found it to make my skin about 3 shades lighter and I ended up sending it back.   I prefer the Prime Time tinted primer thats an SPF 30.