Honored Contributor

Re: Preference regarding the look of lips?

I like my cupids bow, mine is pretty prominant and I like to play it up. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

When I stopped trying to straighten my hair at age 16, I adopted the philosophy of working with what I have.  Unless it's very subtle, tricks like this are more appropriate for someone who's going to be before the camera rather than seen in real life.  Everyone has good and bad features, so I think it's best to play up what you like and do what you can about what you don't like without making things worse.

I agree with others above that those lip injections look terrible.  I question the competence of the doctors who do them when I see the many examples of bad results of this procedure.

A big no to lip injections from me. But a very subtle use of lipstick or gloss as I described is, IMO, doing what I can to make my upper lip visible. I don't do it in a way that anyone would particularly notice, certainly not like this:

baby jane

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

When I stopped trying to straighten my hair at age 16, I adopted the philosophy of working with what I have.  Unless it's very subtle, tricks like this are more appropriate for someone who's going to be before the camera rather than seen in real life.  Everyone has good and bad features, so I think it's best to play up what you like and do what you can about what you don't like without making things worse.

I agree with others above that those lip injections look terrible.  I question the competence of the doctors who do them when I see the many examples of bad results of this procedure.

A big no to lip injections from me. But a very subtle use of lipstick or gloss as I described is, IMO, doing what I can to make my upper lip visible. I don't do it in a way that anyone would particularly notice, certainly not like this:

baby jane

I was thinking of your description when I wrote "unless it is very subtle." 

Honored Contributor

Kat Von D has a video where she does the lips outside line to change the shape and it looks fabulous. I haven't done it myself though. 

Respected Contributor

I think one of the biggest mistakes women make who have thinner lips at any age is to wear lipstick that is too dark. It draws your ey and makes them look even thinner. 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I think one of the biggest mistakes women make who have thinner lips at any age is to wear lipstick that is too dark. It draws your ey and makes them look even thinner. 

In general, I agree. What some of us can get away with, though, is a darker shade in a sheer formula, like maybe a berry tone. But a dark matte burgundy -- oh, heck, no.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

There is a rule and a counter rule for everything. In this case the so called "rule" that if your lips are "too big" you shouldn't wear dark lipstick and draw the eye towards them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think anybody looks good when they try to change the size of their lips----through any means. Always looks artificial. 

Regular Contributor

I think when people use the "lip tricks" it may look ok when first applied, but none of the tricks i've seen from MUA are really meant for real life. Lip products wear rather quickly, and if you've drawn something thats not there-it will show eventually. I don't even care for liner as i think this even shows a demarcation as the day wears on.  I start with honey on my lips every morning for scrubbing and hydration, then apply a plumper-im a weirdo in that i love the tingle\burn of cinnamon, then when I start my makeup i apply a stain first and layer other products over it. I have medium full lips, (they were full, but w age theyre just normal now) what has really helped is using a flesh colored pencil along the skin at the edge to stop any bleeding of product into fine lines-just b sure to blend!

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 I've always had thin lips too. I wear very light lip gloss. I'm actually considering injections. I see such pretty lipsticks and I think I could use a bit more color on my lips. Plus gloss never stays on long. I don't think any tricks will help mine at this point 😫