Trusted Contributor

Re: Pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck -- sheesh -- never ending!

I use the epilator that Q sells.  I stopped shaving over a year ago.  The epilator is amazing.  I use it under my arms, for my legs and for my face.  I even use it on my bikini area.  Nothing like it.  The epilator comes with a plastic guard for people with sensitive skin.  I highly recommend it!

I only have to epilate every 3 weeks or so.  No more nicks or cuts.  No more expensive blades.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am also an epilator fan.  I have used it weekly for years on my face for any peach fuzz.  It is not painful, quick,  and does a through job.  My faces feels smooth and is hairless.  

Super Contributor

The Emjoi EpiSlim epilator has been a life changer for my face.  No more worrying about the rogue black hair (i'm blonde and very fair) showing up.  No more tweezers trying to get every darn blonde hair twinkling in the lights.

I used to wax, but it left me red for the rest of the day, and wouldn't grab all my fine hairs so I had to pluck strays after.  And it didn't seem to last very long.

The upper lip under the nose was no picnic - but now I just run over it every week or so and it really doesn't hurt anymore.  Maybe I'm just numb to it now.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@SilleeMee@How long does the laser treatment take for facial hair?I can’t imag8ne the time it must take to zap each hair.I laughed at your description of your upper lip hair..I guess I have a North American handlebar! I always thought Asian women did not have a facial hair problem.

It took about 6 once-monthly laser treatments to get rid of my upper lip hairs. I didn't have the peach fuzz treated because the technician said the laser would not work for that kind of hair...my peach fuzz is very light, almost blond in color. However, the upper lip hair was blackWoman Tongue...really attractive.Woman LOL @dex

ETA- The laser treats small areas rather than individual hairs like with electrolysis. Laser treatments  only affect follicles that are in the active growth phase so that is why it requires multiple treatments. Each hair is in its own growth phase so the laser needs to zap it just at the right time.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 hairs on my chin that I have been plucking for years and they keep coming back.  They're also coarser than all the other hair on my chin.  So, I don't know where this thing about them getting finer and finally going away came from.  As soon as I can start feeling them I start trying to pluck them, but often it takes a few days before they are long enough for my tweezers to get.

Respected Contributor

I go to the salon and have that nonsense waxed off. I use an at home kit to touch up and extend time between salon visits.
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  My mother told me not to remove the hair above my lip because the hair would grow back dark -- WRONG!  After reading this forum, I now use an electric razor by Panosonic for women, sometimes I use a manual razor and I never have any reaction, no dark growth.  You have nothing to worry about.  Tweezing hurts.  I have sensitive skin -- not overly sensitive but none the less I will break out with certain products.  The shaving does not bother me.  For you I suggest the Panosonic for Women electric razor.  The shape is more slender and it will make your life easier.  I even shave the peach fuzz on my face.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

I have fought the facial hair battle since my teen years.  Through the years it has gotten worse with changing hormones, pregnancies, etc.  This year at age 59 I am getting electrolysis.   I go twice a week for 15-30 min. sessions.   My skin is red immediately after the treament, but, the next day is fine.  Pain isn't too bad.   It is a slow process, but, is working and I am happy with the results I'm getting.  The hardest part is letting the hair grow without plucking so the procedure can snag new growth.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

peroxide?  bleach it.  If you keep cutting it comes back more and more and it's a vicious cycle. Do they have Nair for the upper lip, like they do the legs?

@qualitygal You can still see it when bleached. I do shave mine off once a week. Have been doing this for years and it has not come back thicker. 

Honored Contributor

I do thank you each for your replies!  Wow --- lots of different remedies!  I am mulling this all over.  I do have very fair hair on my face --- that's one positive!  I just hate having hair around my lip and mouth area.  I don't know if any of you get this, but I get this so that they are nearly on my actual lips!  

My issue has definitely gotten way worse since menopause.  It seems like my hair doesn't grow very much at all and has gotten a lot thinner and more brittle.  But this darn facial hair is just thriving!!! 

I am trying to decide what to use of the methods you listed.  I think I am going to rule out waxing and the creams because I am afraid of a reaction and sensitivity.  

Thanks again, everyone, much appreciated!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin