Super Contributor

Please recommend specific brand of hair color for dark cool brown shade

Hi all!

I would really appreciate your recommendations for a permanent hair color in a dark cool brown shade. I can’t believe for the last 30 years I’ve been using the wrong hair color. I’ve always gone with a brown that was Coco/warm in color. However, I really should have been coloring my hair with a cool/ash dark brown color. Hopefully I making sense and would really appreciate recommendations regarding brand and specific name of the hair color. Thank you so Much!
Respected Contributor

Re: Please recommend specific brand of hair color for dark cool brown shade

[ Edited ]

Try MadisonReeddotcom. They will walk you through the best hair color for you.

Super Contributor

If you've been using the wrong color for 30 years, I suggest you go to a great salon and consult with their top colorists. No one can advise you without seeing you in person. Of course, after salons are open in your area.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for your recommendation. However, I have seen colors over the years and to be clear… I don’t look horrible with warm/cocoa brown hair. However, my eyebrows which are my natural hair color are cool brown. Honestly, I could go either way but I just want to try going back to my natural hair color which is a cool brown. Thanks again for your recommendation. I did discuss this with My professional hair colorist who can definitely do the job. However, with COVID-19 I rather color my own hair at home.
Contributor

Loreal Excellence Creme in 4A - Dark Ash Brown.

I caution, it is very very dark brown.

They have a 5AB (one shade brown lighter) Mocha Ash. Any with G after the number in the line is "golden"- R is for "reddish" and A is for ash (cool). 

Super Contributor

Thanks so much!
Honored Contributor

I thought I was reading one of my old posts only I don't recall posting here about haircolor LOL  But it COULD be me!  I've happily been coloring my hair with Feria 40/Espresso-Deeply Brown and 45/French Roast-Deep Bronzed Brown for years and years.  Then decided I'd look better in a cooler color since I'm a cool person in my coloring vs warm.  

Didn't find what I wanted in Loreal's Feria line so I chose a color in their Excellence line called Dark Ash Brown (4A).  A cool dark brown.  Holy c r a p!  Not only did it turn out black, but a BLUE black Smiley Surprised  My poor head hasn't looked right since!  So I went to Sally's a week or so ago and bought "ION" (now I know why that was suggested to me, it's Sally's  brand).  Looking at swatches, I decided on Dark Chocolate.  Colored my hair last night.  It's red.  Depending on the light, it's red or dark brown with a LOT of red.  And my hair doesn't feel near as soft and healthy as it does with the Loreal Feria.  I'm seeing short pieces of hair (shorter than my shortest length) at my desk and in the tub.  I never had this problem with the Loreal and it's been 4-5 months since I colored it last.  I'm 61 and have never damaged my hair with any boxed color till I went to Sally's and bought ION.  I'll NEVER buy it again!

Respected Contributor

I started using esalon a few months ago.  I have short hair and only use half of it each month so I order about every 9 weeks.  It is more expensive than drugstore but using half makes it more affordable.  They ask you questions and send according to what you want.  If it is not right they will adjust.  The the color they sent the first time was perfect but the gray faded.  I told them and the second color was okay and did not fade on the gray but a little darker than I like.  However, that being said I do not have that orange hair I always got after a couple weeks of coloring.  If they can tweak it and get it between the first and second color I will be happy. 

Super Contributor

Could someone explain....the words...ash...warm....how does one decide....since Corona .....I stopped getting my hair colored at a salon.... I would say ,my natural hair is a medium brown.....I've been told to buy a shade lighter....not sure what to do...the prices vary....which makes me wonder the difference between a $3.00 brand which is Revlon....and then the price keeps going up...also .....I noticed certain shades cost more then others......thanks....