Valued Contributor

Please help! Rosacea makeup recommendations?

I've been able to keep my Rosacea in remission for about five years, with just a couple of mini flair ups. Over the last month my face has been going insane with a major flair up.  Any recommendations for make up to cover it without making my skin more irritated?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Please help! Rosacea makeup recommendations?

You may want to see your Dermatologist and talk to them about Demodex mites. We all have them on our lashes and faces. It's microscopic so you won't see them outright. Most of the time and for most people, they are not a problem, but at times, they can get out of control, and they are discovering that when they do, they cause Rosacea, Eye Blepahritis, Alopecia, dry eyes, blurred vision, to name a few. I have worked in the eye care profession for over 30 years so I can tell you it is true. However, that being said, for some reason it is never brought up by Eye Doctors and Dermatologists. Not sure why. There is treatment that can probably help your skin condition tremendously instead of just treating the problem. Read about it and it's relation to Rosacea, then insist your Dermatologist treat it. Time and time again I have learned, we ourselves must be our own health care advocates if we want better health. 

Honored Contributor

@KittySoftPaws 

we ourselves must be our own health care advocates if we want better health. 

You can say that again!

Demodex mites. We all have them on our lashes and faces.

Thank you.  I won't be sleeping tonight thinking about all the mites on my lashes and face that I can't see. 

FACE WITH ROLLING EYES – MARQUEEMOJIS

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties 

Does it hurt?  My mother had rosacea (it's much MUCH better now).  I don't recall her ever mentioning that it hurt. 

Green cancels out/greatly reduces red.  Have you tried the green coverup sticks?

Honored Contributor

Have you tried anything like these products?

Dr. Jart+ - Mini Cicapair™ Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment SPF 30 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Step 1 Primer Color Corrector - Redness Corrector Redness Corrector 1 oz / 30 ml

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet Kitties wrote:

I've been able to keep my Rosacea in remission for about five years, with just a couple of mini flair ups. Over the last month my face has been going insane with a major flair up.  Any recommendations for make up to cover it without making my skin more irritated?

How did you keep it in remission for five years? I realize it's flaring up now, but five years in remission is good. If it's irritated and painful, I wouldn't put makeup on it....just yet. 

Valued Contributor

A little itchy but not as bad as when I was diagnosed 5 years ago. Back then it felt like my face was raw. Any dairy wacks me out. Also sesame, so I say away from humus, tahini, sesame seeds, etc. Maybe I accidentally ate something.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties 

I don't know how much research you have or haven't done.  Don't know if you've watched You Tube videos on the topic.  If you have not watched YT videos, I would recommend that you search for videos on YT.  I know my skincare guru has rosacea but it must be under control, I've never seen it.  He has videos on how to treat it and with what.  Doctorly is another good channel.  Dr. Eric Berg DC also.

Respected Contributor

Hey all. I'm not here much but rosacea is mostly due to diet.  

If you eliminate dairy, nightshade foods which is tomatoes, eggplant, potato,  etc. it will help alot. Oddly enough potato does not bother me - we are all different. There are many other triggers.  Its trial and elimination which takes some time.

I cannot tolerate garlic which will flare me up too. I do eat a very bland diet but the rosacea is gone, ugh but yay!  Onions a problem too. 

Plus stay out of the sun, the worst SPF or none. BTW SPF makes me worse.  

Trusted Contributor

LOL, I know but it's one of those things and not only that, but when out of control, they eat the collagen and elastin in your skin causing wrinkles. Need to wash your face twice a day and keep oils off of the skin which they also like. I've had a slight bout of Rosacea on my nose and one side of my cheek for a while and it was always really pink and I didn't know why. I told my Dermatologist I want a treatment for Demodex. You really have to tell them, most times they just want to treat your symptoms not really solve the  problems. Anyway, I'm using Soolantra topical once a day and it's clearing up tremendously. It takes a while, but it works!